• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Barrel length

snakebyte922

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 10, 2011
Texas
Does barrel length make a difference on 0-500 yrd shots out of a .308. i understand slow buring powder velocity blah blah but what i want to know if i bought an off the shelf 700 .308 with a 20" bbl vs. a 28" bbls with off the shelf say federal premium ammo does barrel lenght make a difference?

Re: Barrel length

As mentioned, a shorter barrel shouldn't prevent you from shooting to 500-700 yd with no problem. Compared to the 28" barrel, you might expect to lose somewhere in the neighborhood of 150 fps muzzle velocity, maybe a tad more (~15-25 fps per inch barrel length). However, at those ranges, you'll just have to dial in a little more elevation on your scope to compensate for the slower MV. You should be quite a way away (distance-wise) from a range that would be beyond the capability of the 20" barrel, as long as you optic has sufficient travel to allow you to dial in the necessary elevation adjustment.

Re: Barrel length

No its not a big deal till you break around 800 yds in my experience.