• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

barrel life - 6.5 Creedmoor vs 300 Norma Mag

ralfabco

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 11, 2009
Houston, Texas
All things being about equal - which setup will have the longer barrel life ?

300 Norma Mag 1/8 26"

6.5 Creedmoor 1/8 26"

No HOT ammo. Probably just factory loads.

Which spare barrel should be chosen ?

No need for a new bolt with either choice.

Not even close man. The Norma will be toast first. That said you’ll shoot a lot more creedmoor rounds simply because the nature of it. Cheaper. Less recoil. More practical for most shooting.

I have a 6 creed and a 28 Nosler. The nosler is a hunting rifle and will Last forever. The 6 creed goes through 2-3 barrels a year.

My 6.5 CM has around 3100+ rounds now and it still shoots great. Only thing I can tell different from new is the speed has dropped 80 - 100 fps with my 41.9 g of RL16 but it still shoots under MOA no problem. I have found RL 26 will regain the speed I lost with no indicated pressure on the brass at 45.2 G of powder. I shoot only 147g ELDs. Still a good gun barrel at this time to me. HB

OP, what do want this new stick to do? Hunt, paper targets, steel? What range do you anticipate shooting at - 100, 300 600 1200, 1 mile?

OP, what do want this new stick to do? Hunt, paper targets, steel? What range do you anticipate shooting at - 100, 300 600 1200, 1 mile?

I need instruction to shoot LR. I did just join a private range with instructors and a 1K range. Paper targets. Thanks.