• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Barrel Life for Sako TRG 22 6.5CM?

RaptorAddict

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Oct 24, 2020
Simi Valley, California
Curious if anyone can shed light on their barrel life experience with their 26" barrel Sako TRG 22 in 6.5CM. I'm currently at 800 rounds. I know I have a ways to go, but I heard here and there that the TRG barrels have a longer life. Just not sure what to beleive.

Hammer forged barrels generally have a longer barrel life compared to cut rifle and button rifle but you give up a slight amout of precision potential (though I haven’t actually noticed this with Sako TRGs).

That said, if this is a rifle you plan on keeping I’d order a blank for it when you think you are a year out or so of needing to replace it. This is determined by your current/anticipated firing schedule and consumption rate per session/match, etc.

I’ve heard of 300 win mag TRG barrels lasting 3000+ rounds. 300 win mag should wear faster than 6.5 cm.

The TRGs are awesome rifles; your barrel should last for quite a while.

Last edited:
Reactions: RaptorAddict
I had a TRG 22 in 308 that I bought new and had to put a new barrel on at 4K rounds. The accuracy fell off and the throat erosion was around 0.100" from new. For what that's worth...

Hammer forged barrels generally have a longer barrel life compared to cut rifle and button rifle but you give up a slight amout of precision potential (though I haven’t actually noticed this with Sako TRGs).

That said, if this is a rifle you plan on keeping I’d order a blank for it when you think you are a year out or so of needing to replace it. This is determined by your current/anticipated firing schedule and consumption rate per session/match, etc.

I’ve heard of 300 win mag TRG barrels lasting 3000+ rounds. 300 win mag should wear faster than 6.5 cm.

The TRGs are awesome rifles; your barrel should last for quite a while.
It's a rifle that'll never leave. This is good to hear! I don't see any problem with precision. If it was a failed shot, it was me.

Reactions: nn8734
It's a rifle that'll never leave. This is good to hear! I don't see any problem with precision. If it was a failed shot, it was me.
Yep, anytime i miss w/my TRG42, its me not the rifle. And mine’s not going anywhere either.

Reactions: RaptorAddict