• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Barrel life of a 6.5 creedmore

jyd

Private
Minuteman
Jun 30, 2008
Idaho
What is the average barrel life a 6.5 creedmore? I have a broughton barrel with 1211 rounds on it and it has gone from sub 1/2 to a 1 inch. You think this is normal or a little premature.
Thanks for taking a look.
Dave

Re: Barrel life of a 6.5 creedmore

Have you checked your throat? It may have moved forward just enough that your bullet is no long in it's "happy zone"
grin.gif

I had this happen recently with my 308 and 155 scenar's

That's way premature. The 6.5 Creedmoor should be an easy 3000-4000 round cartridge. I have well over 2000 rounds through mine and it's still shooting very well.

i think it would depend on how hard your 1200 rounds have been.

ie..shoot let cool, or 10 shot rapid fire strings for competitions? that will have an impact on barrel life.

I have two Creedmoors and another on the way.
The first one was set back from a 6.5x55 and recrowned and it still shoots sub MOA with 6000 through it, I quit counting a while ago.

Second one I use for competion has 1768 and is still a solid half minute gun.
I use the 123 Creedmoor short throat reamer from Pacific Tool & Gauge.
This gives me an OAL of 2.775 and still alows me to jam the bullet. Lots of room in the magazine.

My load is:
123 Scenar .015 into the lands OAL 2.775"
39.2 gr. Varget
Hornady brass
CCI BR-2 primers
2950 fps out of a 28' barrel

I do measure the throat and I am keeping a very accurate round count to see just how long it will last.
I think that 4000 is not an unreasonable expectation.

How is the hornady brass? My next rifle which wont be fore a long time or till i have a barrel replacement which will still be a long time, i'm considering this or a 6.5x47 lapua. God knows i don't wanna pay for the lapua brass though.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: lovdasnow</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i think it would depend on how hard your 1200 rounds have been.

ie..shoot let cool, or 10 shot rapid fire strings for competitions? that will have an impact on barrel life. </div></div>

After some load work to test handloads, I have only used my rifle in tactical matches. It's been shot as hard as any would be for over 2000 rounds.

Hornady 6.5 Creedmoor brass is very good. I have about 20 pieces that I used for some load testing and have went up to 43grns of H4350 with the 140 AMAX and have 5 firings through them and primers are still plenty tight.

If I am use factory ammo the OAL is fixed. The only option is to have it rechambered or a new barrel. I'll ask a gun smith the price of a rechamber and compare it against a new barrel.

I'm glad to hear your results Rob, I just ordered my first 6.5 CM from gap, and I don't have quite the budget to toss barrels into the "expendables" catagory like some people do. I plan on using it as a match only rifle for the most part. It would be nice if a could get a full year out of a barrel.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JYD</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If I am use factory ammo the OAL is fixed. The only option is to have it rechambered or a new barrel. I'll ask a gun smith the price of a rechamber and compare it against a new barrel.
</div></div>

Have you checked the muzzle for dings and also how often and how do you clean it? 1200 rounds will not shoot out a throat in a Creedmoor especially with factory ammo.

Most all of the rounds are at matches or training for one. I use 139 gr Scenar with 42.3 gr. of H4350 and get 2820 FPS. I know people are pushing creedmores harder. Some guys were talking in the 2900 FPS with 140 AMAXs at the bash in December.

JYD,
I just had an odd thing happen on my Creedmoor...It was shooting consistantly in the .3 range with Hornady factory 140 amaxes. I changed lot numbers and the rifle went to over a minute. Had a few of the old lot number 140's and back into the .3 range. I would check loads etc before jumping into the rebarrel. Also depending on your barrel, you won't wear out the rifling, all you should have to do is set back the barrel for rechambering of the throat if it comes to that.

Not real happy with the 1+ minute lot number.

Pulled bullets and weighed charges...Factory Hornady had a range from 42.6 to 43.5 grains on 10 bullets pulled randomly out of a 200 round case. Now I can see why my groups opened up. Decided to pull a few bullets on the old lot number that was shooting so well. The thing that surprised me about the old lot number is that it was right at 43 grains. It ranged from 42.9 - 43.1. Hornady lists their powder charge as 41.5. I checked the weights on two separate scales just to make sure. The first an RCBS digital and the second my old triple beam.

Guess I'll trust my reloads once again over factory. Thought I had found Nirvana in a factory load for my Creedmoor. Back to the reloading press....

43 grns of H4350 is exactly the load I run in mine.

2850 fps running the 140 Amax, 26" barrel.

Around 2700 was all I could get out of the factory loads...no way they could have had 43 grns in them.

BnC

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bangnclang</div><div class="ubbcode-body">43 grns of H4350 is exactly the load I run in mine.

2850 fps running the 140 Amax, 26" barrel.

Around 2700 was all I could get out of the factory loads...no way they could have had 43 grns in them.

BnC </div></div>

Short Action Customs did the work on mine. Used a Krieger, 26.3, Melonite treatment by MMI, factory 140 Amax is 2815 avg. I will check it again after 100 rounds or so, word is it will gain some speed once shot a bit.