• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Barrel life on a Kimber 84M 7-08?

Remsen

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 11, 2006
Northern California (occupied)
I just picked up a Kimber 84M in 7-08 and plan to use it primarily for hunting, so the round count should be pretty tame. I've never had a Kimber or a 7-08 before so I'm wondering what kind of barrel life I should expect out of this one.

Thanks

Re: Barrel life on a Kimber 84M 7-08?

Hunting rifle....... Your lifetime. Keep the cooper cleaned out & it will be fine. Most rifle barrels are not shot out but fouled out. Anthony

I'd guess you'll get a minimum of 5,000 rounds (likely MUCH more) unless you are really pushing the envelope in terms of MV, etc. The throat erosion on a 7mm-08 should be on par or slightly better than with a 308.

Thanks, that definitely should be a lifetime for me...I figure I'll put about 100 rounds a year through the rifle, maybe even less. That'll take me out to about age 96, and if I'm still hunting by then I figure I am due a new rifle. Or at least a new barrel...