• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Barrel life on the 224 Valkyrie ?

Bratcher02

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Feb 16, 2018
Elizabeth, IN
I know in the passed frank talked about talking to JP I think about cutting a barrel open to look at the rifling on a 224 Valkyrie. I think said they didn’t want to yet as it had 6000 rounds on it and still shooting good. Wondering if anyone had any update on this ?

Yes. And No...

It depends.

I don’t know that there are enough data points yet, though I’m game to hear of actual experiences from those that have actually shot out a .224V barrel.

I know Frank talked about it having good results, has anyone played with it? I'm contemplating getting one in a bolt action.

I had a AR 2000 rounds threw it did fine out too 1100 yards out of my 22” barrel with 1-7” twist so now I had a barrel for my bighorn tl3 and it’s even better don’t have as many rounds down the tube on it yet but only thing I feel the Valkyrie lacks is good match grade brass but still getting good results with starline only primer pockets that hold up some what good

have one 224 it's a gas gun and slowly approaching 4k in rounds fired , all is well so far . I have also thought about getting a bolt version . as much as i try to slow myself in between shots , its still far too easy with a gas gun to start shooting a bit faster than I wanted to . I Figured the bolt would force that with me at least to slow down . On range day still using 2x's the ammo as I do with my 308 bolt gun and if someone else is shooting it that number spikes , It's still a blast .

Generally your going to see more rounds down a cut rifled barrel before it craps out vs a button. I am currently shooting a 223V button that's shooting lights out with 88's at max pressure without trashing brass 2800. We will see how long it lasts.

Bartlein has 2 blanks on the way for my 224v and 220TB reviews so I will have buttons and cut rifled barrels in both these calibers to see how long they each last....

Reactions: MarinePMI
Generally your going to see more rounds down a cut rifled barrel before it craps out vs a button. I am currently shooting a 223V button that's shooting lights out with 88's at max pressure without trashing brass 2800. We will see how long it lasts.

Bartlein has 2 blanks on the way for my 224v and 220TB reviews so I will have buttons and cut rifled barrels in both these calibers to see how long they each last....
I know it's been a while for this thread, but wanted to see if you could provide an update on your observed barrel life for the 224 Valkyrie. I have been searching and can't seem to get any good data. Thanks.

Reactions: lash
I know it's been a while for this thread, but wanted to see if you could provide an update on your observed barrel life for the 224 Valkyrie. I have been searching and can't seem to get any good data. Thanks.

Nope I have no data for you on that. 224V was a flop in my eyes with the speeds advertised when releasing vs real world speeds to keep brass reloadable more than 2-3x..

I dumped 224V like the hot turd it was and shot 220 Thunderbolt for a long time before making the complete switch to 22BR a few years ago...

Reactions: kthomas
I don't mind my valkyrie ar15. It gets 26" 223 bolt gun speeds in an ar15. If I was going to recommend something though. It would be 223ai over valkyrie. Brass is the weak link with valkyrie or basically anything when it's vs a 223 case. They are just cheap and easy to get.

Nope I have no data for you on that. 224V was a flop in my eyes with the speeds advertised when releasing vs real world speeds to keep brass reloadable more than 2-3x..

I dumped 224V like the hot turd it was and shot 220 Thunderbolt for a long time before making the complete switch to 22BR a few years ago...
I remember reading your thread on 220tb and being pretty intrigued. 22br turned out better?

I remember reading your thread on 220tb and being pretty intrigued. 22br turned out better?

I shot a LOT of 220TB in both an AR15 and bolt gun. Straight Lazer in both, stupid accurate.

Nobody makes dies for it anymore and brass has to be formed from 6 hagar....current run Hagar brass sucks. Soft and few reloads compared to the older run brass I was using...

22BR gives me everything 220TB did in a bolt gun, same bullets almost same loads....with excellent dies and amazing lapua brass that lasts forever.

Just no AR15

Last edited:
Reactions: HMRamateur
My Valkyrie is going strong, I’m over 3k, I can say, I know Brian Whalen got 8800 rounds out of his Valkyrie boltgun shooting 88s at 2890fps

I can easily see 6k being a real number even pushing it over 2900fps.

I grabbed the 80.5gr federal factory and it’s a winner. Super close to my 85.5gr handload, between 7.8 & 8.0 Mils at 1000 yards with it.

Way better than the 90s

My Valkyrie is going strong, I’m over 3k, I can say, I know Brian Whalen got 8800 rounds out of his Valkyrie boltgun shooting 88s at 2890fps

I grabbed the 80.5gr federal factory and it’s a winner. Super close to my 85.5gr handload, between 7.8 & 8.0 Mils at 1000 yards with it.

Way better than the 90s
I’m not shooting mine (in AR) much these days, but I did find that 75-80.5 is the sweet spot for mine.

I agree... 80s is where it's at.. the initial claims with 90s when first being released were bullshit. 2850 was max I could get in a 26" Bartlein bolt gun without brass going to shit and having to trash after 2 reloads.. that was also with my custom 224V bolt gun reamer that gave better case capacity..

I was getting a sticky bolt at 26.9gr CFE223 with 88 ELD's 2910 out of a 26" Bartlein on my TL3 and after 2 reloads my primer pockets were loose as shit.

I am doing it, I set it up, though I haven't reload it since getting the 80.5g factory load

I have a mix of brass, bunch of Starline from Chris, some Hornady and Federal I have used too, it's nowhere near hot so I haven't had any issues with my brass, but I have barely made a dent in this stuff

IMG_3540.JPG

But Valkyrie is easy,
IMG_3500.JPG

Oh, I was 27.5g not 26.5, so I made a mistake,
IMG_3518.JPG

But I can, just because I choose not too, doesn't mean I can't, I think Quigley said something like that ...

I am doing it, I set it up, though I haven't reload it since getting the 80.5g factory load

I have a mix of brass, bunch of Starline from Chris, some Hornady and Federal I have used too, it's nowhere near hot so I haven't had any issues with my brass, but I have barely made a dent in this stuff

View attachment 8402643

But Valkyrie is easy,
View attachment 8402645

Oh, I was 27.5g not 26.5, so I made a mistake,
View attachment 8402646

But I can, just because I choose not too, doesn't mean I can't, I think Quigley said something like that ...
Just having a little fun with you, Frank :D (y)

But we know you got @Sparky chained to the bench reloading for you…don’t lie now. lol ;)

Reactions: Lowlight

Way better than the 90s
Genuine question.

How do you think 6k is possible, if 3000 rounds is all guys are getting from a 22BR with 88s around 2900-3000fps?

I'm building a 223AI and hoping to get 88s to around 2850, I see people saying barrel life will only be 3000 rounds, other saying it'll be 10,000.

Numbers for most 22cals seem to be all over the place.

Barrel life estimates are all over the place because accuracy expectations are all over the place. And barrels are not all created equally. Everything you see on line in this regard is anecdotal.

I'm past 3k, and it's not letting up one bit... it's my main rifle here in Fort Morgan, I shoot it a ton. I ordered 4k rounds of 90s from SG and I only have about 1k left, I can go look at see, but I also shot the handloads, I am on my second case of 80s, I just ordered more.

Reactions: beetroot