• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Barrel life.....Really?

nobody13

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 31, 2011
Montana
With all the money I see spent here on some amazing builds, both custom and semi-custom, why all the concern about barrel life? Seems odd that there is so much concern with something that is just part of the game. What am I missing? a few hundred dollars on a new barrel seems like the cost of playing to me.

Re: Barrel life.....Really?

A recreational shooter might not need a .260 or other barrel burner to punch paper vs a 308. ?

my issue isn't on cost, it's on change/down time... if a particular barrel onlt lasts 1500 rounds and you shoot say 200 rounds a month... in roughly 7.5 months, you're changing the rifle slightly, maybe for the better, maybe for the worse, maybe not even enought to see the difference, but I see it as a gamble every 7mo... same 200rds a month from a 308 is good for 2-3yrs, easy

I agree 100%. I am referring to the members that have some of the low round count calibers and still complain. I figured they knew this when the decision was made on caliber choice. I don't have a .308 yet, and have barrel burners. I plan to shoot one and live with the downtime on the other, then switch. A .300WM and 6.5x284 are what I am currently shooting. Been watching for the right .308 just to have, since its what everyone has if nothing else.

It's highly overrated. Most people don't shoot enough to burn out their "barrel burners".

That was my thinking. Most of us have jobs and families and other hobbies that make it tough to shoot as much as we all want to. When either of my sticks need a barrel swap I will time it over the winter and go shoot coyotes with my .223. Come spring, ready to go. If its just one rig, I would probably go with ol' reliable too. I may end up eating my words when both burn out at the same time.....Nope just buy a third. (A.308)

If you aren't shooting enough to burn out the barrel on your 6.5X284, then good for you? That is a really good chambering for F-open. If you are seriously competing, you will burn out a barrel in about a season. While it might last a season and a half, who wants to develop a load midway through the season that is not tried and true? Nevermind missing matches because of downtime.

Recreational shooters and hunters don't have these concerns and probably don't pull the trigger enough for it to matter anyway.

No comps. for me. I have a buddy with a range out to 2k. Go out, lay on your nutz and shoot. Found a 6.5 for a song, couldn't resist. T4 inbound for it. Just for fun! Looking seriously at the .260 as well. May try the new LRP.

I bet I dont shoot 30 rounds a month so I could use a 338 lapua for years. I guess you would consider me recreational. I am into the sport, I have decent gear but I dont live near a range and only get to shoot on family land maybe once a month. I never thought about it. My 308 barrel will probably last me my lifetime, or until I sell it.
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: nobody13</div><div class="ubbcode-body">With all the money I see spent here on some amazing builds, both custom and semi-custom, why all the concern about barrel life? Seems odd that there is so much concern with something that is just part of the game. What am I missing? a <span style="color: #33CC00">few hundred dollars </span>on a new barrel seems like the cost of playing to me. </div></div>
A new Barrel, chamber job, fluting, and thread for a brake is gonna cost a lot more than a few hundred dollars and the mentioned down time.
SScott

A break on anything less than a .300WM???????? Thread for supressed, sure. O.K. so $600ish, big deal when all things considered. Shoot another rifle while the other is at sick call.

I ran a 300WSM with 65gr of H4350 and got 2400 rounds down it and it still shot .3 when I took it off to try and reuse it for another build. We saw it had 12" of crazing and some errosion. I shoot quite frequently and that still took two seasons. Knowing what I know now I would have pushed it for as long as it held up just to have seen the count. Build them, shoot them how you want and put a new barrel on it. They're like tires, they will wear our. Performance tires are more fun than standard tires that last forever. If you are worried about down time the chamber two barrels and put it in the safe until you need it.

Some rifles have more muzzle jump then others. Especially with people running shorter rifles in Tac Comps. Having no spotter there is a good need for a muzzle break to spot your own shots. If you don't see where you're missing, it's the blind leading the blind. There are many reasons people do things the way they do... also some do it because its tacticool.

I went with a 308 so I don't have to rebarrel very often. Thing is I must read the wind to know my drift more so then someone with a 260, but I'd rather have the barrel life over the drift. It's just me everyone is different.

I have a range and shoot a lot. I shoot the 308 the most because its the only commercial gun I have and I don't care when the barrel goes. I do however shoot a 6.5-284 and a 30-338 win at the shoots I go to. The advantage of the two over the 308 are well worth the cost and time of the barrel life.

I have never burned out a barrel, though my M700 .223 may be on the way there shortly.

Only once in my life was I svelt enough to afford to replace a barrel, and the incumbent barrel was only just getting up to speed. I did the replacement so I could get more performance and it worked out very nicely, but I sometimes wish I still had the older one, too.

The reality of my situation is that, unlike the custom rifle folks, I cannot afford cavalier barrel replacements, if ever, for practically any reason. Accordingly, I ration my barrel life like it was irreplaceable; essentially because that's the real, cold, hard fact.

Greg

By the time you count for WAIT time, chamber, threading, flutting, refinishing, you're considerably more than a couple hundred bucks.

The biggest issue of all being wait times.

No matter how much you spend on shooting, consumables are always the worst part.

I haven't shot a barrel out of a rifle before. when accuracy goes away how much are we talking about? Only asking because I have a ELR rifle that I will shoot the barrel out of.

My Sako TRG22 has nearly 4000 rounds through it and still shoots great with the original barrel.

I also have a McMillan built M40A1 in 300 win mag that eats barrels about every 800-1200 rounds depending on how hot it gets when being shot. The most rounds I have gotten before having to set the barrel back was 970. I am now on barrel #4, and it was set back about 300 rounds ago. I have another Obermeyer tube waiting in the vault for when this barrel goes.

Any time I have to change out the barrel, I figure it will be around $600 total cost, plus the hassle of dismounting, remounting optics, redoing my load data and all that stuff. It takes about 2-3 months to get all that done.

That hassle is the biggest reason I dislike having to change barrels. If it were as simple as taking the car to Les Schwab for new tires, and picking it up in an hour or two, (without having to tear it apart and rebuild it), it wouldn't be so bad.

If you shoot long range comps in northern Europe it means off hand shooting with sling. No rests or bipods. If you want to be good you have to shoot a lot. Top 10% shooters average about 10-12000 rounds a year. That's why QC-barrel rifles like SSG3000 and other DIY rifles outperform rifles that requires a gunsmith to change a barrel.

I go to my local gunshop and buy a new drop in barrel like a box of bullets. I install it myself in 15 miutes. The barrel even comes with a test target from the factory. These rifles are a gunsmiths worst nightmare. Anyone who is able to put together an IKEA bookshelf can build a .4moa Sauer SSG3000 from single parts in 90 minutes. (even if you mix patrs from 3 different rifles you still have 3 .4moa rifles)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: nobody13</div><div class="ubbcode-body">That was my thinking. Most of us have jobs and families and other hobbies that make it tough to shoot as much as we all want to. When either of my sticks need a barrel swap I will time it over the winter and go shoot coyotes with my .223. Come spring, ready to go. If its just one rig, I would probably go with ol' reliable too. I may end up eating my words when both burn out at the same time.....Nope just buy a third. (A.308) </div></div>This is true. I only wish I could find enought time, and money for the ammo, to be able to shoot out a barrel in two to three years. Not happening for me. In .223, seems to me that you would have to have something faster than a 1 in 9 twist to really burn out a barrel inside of 5,000 rounds. It will probably take me ten years to run that much ammo down the tube.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TorF</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you shoot long range comps in northern Europe it means off hand shooting with sling. No rests or bipods. If you want to be good you have to shoot a lot. Top 10% shooters average about 10-12000 rounds a year. That's why QC-barrel rifles like SSG3000 and other DIY rifles outperform rifles that requires a gunsmith to change a barrel.

I go to my local gunshop and buy a new drop in barrel like a box of bullets. I install it myself in 15 miutes. The barrel even comes with a test target from the factory. These rifles are a gunsmiths worst nightmare. Anyone who is able to put together an IKEA bookshelf can build a .4moa Sauer SSG3000 from single parts in 90 minutes. (even if you mix patrs from 3 different rifles you still have 3 .4moa rifles) </div></div>

much like a Savage rifle and a good prefit barrel