• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Barrel Life with Custom Loads

LRresearch

Private
Minuteman
Jan 14, 2021
Denver, CO
I'm a lifelong hunter, but fairly new to custom builds. SH has been so helpful in digesting all the options and considerations. Thank you all for your help!

Very excited about my first LR rifle build, an I received a great call that it's arriving in a couple weeks. I'd be interested in putting together a maintenance schedule, like you get when buying a new truck. What parts need to be replaced or serviced and when. Specifically, what can I expect for barrel life? I was planning on ordering some custom loads to get a flatter projection and higher velocity on my dope. Assuming the PSI is a bit higher, can I expect 2000+ rounds? Follow up, when my barrel is starting to degrade, will that be the only thing I need to replace or should I expect the action, trigger, stock and any other components around that ~2000 round timeframe or later?

6.5 PRC Build
- Barlein 28" heavy palma
- Impact Precision 737R
- TriggerTech Special 700 Rem
- Hawkins DBM
- Foundation Exodus Stock
- Leupold 5HD or Altus Cronus (still conflicted on which scope but there's lots of content, so no need to discuss here)

The only thing you will need to replace is your barrel. Life depends on your load. A 6.5 PRC will last between 1000-2000 rounds, on average.

If you want to send your action, trigger, stock, etc. after 2000 rounds, PM me... I'll send you my address. ;)

Reactions: LRresearch
Always have an extra barrel on hand. nothing worse than expecting to get 2000+ rounds out of your barrel and it goes at 1000. Wait times are pretty long for anything in the gun industry right now.

Hot loads will certainly reduce barrel life but not terribly.
1000-2000 is a good range of life for 6.5 PRC, maybe more but probably not less.
With good barrels I often start seeing some speed loss but for a 300-400 more rounds I can just add more powder.
A nice warning that the end is near.
Eventually I can’t keep up adding powder or I get other issues.
Barrels are shoes, wear them out.
Walking slower to extend shoe life is silly, shoot the ammo you want.

Usualy the moment I install a barrel I order it’s replacement.

Reactions: LRresearch