• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Barrel Life

Lance B

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 13, 2008
NJ
Generally speaking how many rounds does the 260 Rem barrel last. Would there be any difference between a bolt 260 barrel and a semi 260 barrel. Assuming moderate loads, not laser loads.
TIA

Re: Barrel Life

oh....you may wish to find a borescope and co-mingle your thoughts on this.....but accuracy wise you may see a drop-off around 1700 to 1800....then chase the chamber, feed it some throat maintenance bullets and re-crown....and carry on till another 500 to 800 give or take....then......it depends on how you live your life.....one shooter here on the hide got close to 4000 rounds....w/ three thread and chamber bumps and i think one decent size crown set back to find the node again.......but all in all he milked it to burnout

I have to agree with everything Boltripper said. Especially the part about using a borescope to check at least the throat and muzzle. But the proof is watching the targets and being able to spot when the groups start opening up under ideal conditions.

Borescoping, measuring lands, and discussion with L-W suggests my 28" 1:8" LW-50 Stainless barrel is probably good for 2400-2500 rounds overall. Since all I use it for is comp, and right now, I have no reachable 1000yd venue, it's actual life may be for some additional years. I use a SAAMI chamber, 142SMK's and about 44gr of H4350, yielding a rather sedate and moderate 2850fps.