• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Barrel Life

SmallBoreSnipers

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 15, 2009
Troy, NY
Just curious. I have a .17 hmr that I put 25 - 50 rounds through every week. I clean and maintain the rifle as I should. If I continue to use the rifle in this way, how long does a barrel actually last??

btw, the barrel is a 22" 1:9 twist heavy bbl.

Re: Barrel Life

I've got a shooting buddy thats has the same exact rifle and he has well over 3,000 rounds through it and still holds about 1moa at 100 give or take depending on the wind and if he has cleaned it.

I would be more worried about the damage the cleaning would do to it then actually shooting the gun. I wouldn't clean the gun until the groups start to open up.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Drumie</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I would be more worried about the damage the cleaning would do to it then actually shooting the gun. I wouldn't clean the gun until the groups start to open up.
</div></div>

X2 .... well given advice

Yessir, cleaning often & imprudently(fast and furious strokes with the jag/brush exiting the muzzle and slamming back into it) has been the doom of many an accurate rifle.

Clean it when the accuracy goes to pot.