• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing barrel life?

308mike

Private
Minuteman
Apr 5, 2011
Burt, Iowa
ok heres the same old question you guys have heard a millon times but im askin any way first ill tell the story about 15 years ago i bout a shilen 308 barrel and took it a smith and he let it get lose while he was chambering it and recked the chamber well 15 years later i took the barrel in and had the chamber cut off and rechambered the barrel had some suface rust inside but it cleaned up nice ( i thought) well after 2500 rounds down the tube i can see the pitting with my naked eye. but the barrel still shoots outstanding (i dont know how) so im going to rebarrel well it is a chromemoly but am going to stainless is there much round count advantage and is there a round count advantage to say a kreiger over a shilen because of the diference of how the riflings are made and witch is the better barrel they are both availible right now and this barrel with its pitting is very hard to clean

Re: barrel life?

Not trying to rag on you, but use a bit of punctuation on occasion. It makes it a lot easier for the 50yrs+ crowd to read.

If it is shooting, leave it alone. I had a 22-250 that had pits the length of the bore and it did .75" for 5 rounds at 100yds all the time.

Welcome to the 'hide. You will learn a lot.

david

I have quite a few barrels, all from four makers, Shilen, Hart, Krieger, and Lilja. The number of shots before accuracy deterioates seem to be very consistant between all of them. Accuracy required to be competative in benchrest seems to go away at a little over two thousand rounds. The only difference that I have noticed, is Lilja seems to clean up well a bit faster then the rest, often in as few as four or five shots. I would certainly think that a smith that screwed up a barrel would make good, even if it were only cutting the messed up chamber and redoing it properly. I would certainly find a new gunsmith if what you say was the case.
All of my barrels are stainless, and I dont know if the same would be true of chromoly or not. I do think that your decision to go stainless is a smart one.

I have tried most of the major barrel manufactures. They all make good barrels and sometimes you get a turd but thats usually not their fault.

As far as barrel wear, I have found over the years that the big factor is the size of the case and how hot you get it when shooting. I have seen brand name barrels in 22-250s become junk in one afternoon of shooting prairie dogs. If you don't get an "Overbore" case and you don't get your gun to hot while shooting it they will last a long time. If you shoot comps then not so long.

If your barrel is still shooting good keep shooting it. Pits will only make it a tad harder to clean.

thanks guys, the gunsmithis no longer in buisness and I had a very compitant smith put a match chamber in it. yes i shoot some f class comp and rifle does get warm on those warm days and i do some preire dogin but i have several rifles so i try to switch out to keep them cool. i am going to shoot it until it starts to go bad but dont think its to long. the pitting seems to be only the center 8 or 10 inches. my bullet speed is 2640 using 43.9 grains of varget and 168smk winchester case and tull primers

If your shooting a 308 Win. load that slow with a 168 your barrel sould last a long time. Many long range shooters use much hotter loads and usually expect at least 4000 rds. before even thinking about a rebarrel. Might want to try the 175 SMK for the longer yardages.

Order a new barrel now in your preferred contour, meanwhile shoot the crap out of current barrel. Then when you are ready you have the barrel in hand and only have to wait for the smith. Also, since the barrel is paid of the cash outlay will also be less.

My Kreiger .308 when 6008 round before I pulled it and was still shooting less that MOA.

Good luck

Jerry

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: customshooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">cut rifling outlasts button...</div></div>

I would like to see the data on that.

Alan