• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Barrel Making, why so many in Wisconsin

zblink

Private
Minuteman
Dec 14, 2009
MI
Ok so the more I get into rifle shooting the more I realize that where I grew up seems quite large in barrel making with many big names all relatively close to each other. Was always a clay shooter, so had no clue.... feeling pretty dumb.

Anybody have any answers to this? I know the area is mostly Germanic so is it the craft and trade that they brought with them?

Any other secrets of the area when it comes to firearms? Custom rifle builders? I know Vortex is Middleton WI

Broughton - Byron WI
Krieger- Richfield WI
Rock Creek - Albany WI
Criterion - Germantown WI
Brux - Lodi WI
Bartlein - Jackson WI
Oberymeyer - Bristol WI

Reactions: deersniper
Ok so the more I get into rifle shooting the more I realize that where I grew up seems quite large in barrel making with many big names all relatively close to each other. Was always a clay shooter, so had no clue.... feeling pretty dumb.

Anybody have any answers to this? I know the area is mostly Germanic so is it the craft and trade that they brought with them?

Any other secrets of the area when it comes to firearms? Custom rifle builders? I know Vortex is Middleton WI

Broughton - Byron WI
Krieger- Richfield WI
Rock Creek - Albany WI
Brux - Lodi WI
Bartlein - Jackson WI
Oberymeyer - Bristol WI
Maybe bc Boots Obermeyer trained several guys?

I heard that several barrel drills and or rifling machines were in the area after WWII.
As a result machines were put to work in the area.
Dunno if this is true, just something I heard.

R

Reactions: Blutroop
Hunting & amount machinst around 70-80's. Layoffs started new ventures

Pretty sure Mike Rock apprenticed under Boots Obermeyer. Bartlein was formed by some ex Krieger employees iirc. Probably some other relationships there as well.

Edit: barrel making is cool as shit, and it would be worth going to WI to tour some of the shops, and have a beer with those responsible.

I think (getting to where I think I remember things, but not so sure anymore) Krieger was an offshoot of obermeyer, Bartlein was an offshoot of Krieger, etc... Several similar stories I'm sure.

Reactions: Geno C.
Midwest Industries is another quality company although I don't think they make barrels.
BCM too which from what I've gathered doesn't make anything but awesome top notch magical QC machines to measure all the components that come in the back door from all the WI companies are good to go (y)

Reactions: pilotjoe
Since i live in Wi I say my barrel rule is only barrels made in wi.....i think i am safe.
Still need to get a couple so i have some from each. Brux is only 40 minutes so tend to run there

Probably because we do have a lot of manufacturing, and hence folks skilled in the machining arts. Some other firearms companies as others have said are Midwest Industries (in Waukesha), Bravo Company Mfg. (in Hartland), Kolar Arms (in Racine. Really want one of their competition shotguns!!), etc. Other manufacturing concerns in the SE Wis. areas include Harley Davidson, Joy Global (now owned by Komatsu, large mining shovels), Rockwell Automation, Generac, Briggs & Stratton, Kohler (kitchen sinks, but also power generators), etc. Certainly, no longer the "rust belt", but a lot of companies using very expensive high tech machining centers ($3MM Hydromat or Buffoli rotary transfer machining centers, etc.) that talented people need to run.

That and an aweful lot of residents here in the midwest are gun owners/enthusiasts. This is not the left or right coast!!

Last edited:
Reactions: ZG47A and FishDr
This is some cool info/history to learn. I just ordered my second barrel made from a Rock Creek blank and I am still relatively new to this segment of the industry. At least compared to some of you old farts lol.

It's nice to know where it all started...

It's like any other industry. Someone did it there first, by random chance, availability of natural resources, logistical advantage, etc. More people learned the trade and branched out on their own, but the expertise stayed pretty concentrated. Why is music made in Nashville? Why are airplanes built in Seattle? Cars in detroit? Bourbon in ky? Etc. Etc. As time goes by, it spreads more, but as the industry (and related, supporting industries) grows, the more it makes sense for anyone who wants in that business to be located there.

Agree with the above. I think once a skilled trade becomes established in an area it kinda of breeds on itself, in a good way. Look at the number of gun manufacturers in the Quad City area in IA/IL. Young man apprentices under Brand A, 3 years later ends up over at Brand B, etc...

Witchita KS comes to mind regarding aircraft manufacturing. Airplane capital of the world.

Reactions: DaleGribble82
Gun drills are lubricated with creamy cheese thats why barrel manufacturers are located in Wisconsin .

Reactions: DaleGribble82
This is the barrel making story:

"Hey guys. Its fucking cold...what should we do today?"

-"We could go bang some more sheep, Carl!?"

"Nah. We did that shit every day for the last 3 years. What else?"

-"Beer and cheese?"

"No, Jimmy. I weigh 400lbs because of your fuckin beer and cheese. Can't even chase the sheep no more..."

-"Well fuck, Carl. How about we find some goddamn strange and obscure machining operation to become world class at. Something hard, and boring..."

"By GOD Jimmy! That sounds great. We could make RIFLE BARRELS! HOLY SHIT SOMETHING TO DO FOR THE 13 MONTHS OF WINTER! Pass me the beer, the cheese, and the sheep...We gonsta celebrate!"

Only if you like all your beer money funding democrat campaigns.
We are talking about barrels and beer, and you bring politics into the mix.
B6D4E212-2764-448B-9464-465B2D71E655.gif

We are talking about barrels and beer, and you bring politics into the mix.View attachment 7033868
It's not that I brought it, it's that the NGB owner lady literally went with Obama on campaign and said that a percentage of all proceeds during Obamas two campaigns were going to help the Messiah get elected/reelected. She can't separate the beer from politics, so why should I?

It's not that I brought it, it's that the NGB owner lady literally went with Obama on campaign and said that a percentage of all proceeds during Obamas two campaigns were going to help the Messiah get elected/reelected. She can't separate the beer from politics, so why should I?
Did I ask you to?

You recommended a beer to fellow 2A enthusiasts. With all the outing and outrage against anti-2A companies lately I thought beer buying gun owners deserved to know.
Rightfully so, I certainly didn’t know that. The gif was a sports joke, not me being a prick. If you don’t watch sports you wouldn’t get it. I don’t live in Wisconsin so I can’t buy it, and if given the opportunity to do so I won’t. Thanks for the tip ??

Yeah didn't get the sports thing...
The good news is there's all sorts of other WI brewers that don't hate your way of life!

They get pretty big, them monster white tails. They went Keto diet - they only eat the frozen hunters that make it 35 feet from their back door before re-enacting the T2000 scene in the foundry.

Broughton - Byron WI
Krieger- Richfield WI
Rock Creek - Albany WI
Brux - Lodi WI
Bartlein - Jackson WI
Oberymeyer - Bristol WI

I don't know the answer but I think they are at risk. Their states are as liberal as NY, MD, Ca, etc and they may well be pushed out.

Until now, didn't realize just how much money I have been sending to Wisconsin for many, many years, but well spent.

Reactions: pilotjoe