• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Barrel Marking Device?

dakor

Private
Minuteman
Feb 8, 2007
ND
So I am looking for a way to mark the caliber and my business name on the barrel of the rifles I build. I was thinking of a Marking Methods 300 or some kind of Mini CNC Engraving Machine if not too expensive. Anyone using something that they really like and it works well that will not break the bank?

Electro chemical etching is the way to go, can get a lot of detail, quick, cheap, easy. I made mine for $50 worth of parts from radio shack. Then call Lectro Etch in Cleveland and they'll get you the stencils and electrolyte.

Galaxy S3 on tapatalk

How is the depth on yours? I bought a 400 Dollar Chemical etching unit I am sending back. This unit worked ok on smaller parts but on a stainless rifle barrel it does not mark deep enough or clear enough. Could you PM me the parts you bought?

Last edited:
I use a Personalizer Plus and stencils from Lectroetch.

IMG_20130618_180132_831.jpg

IMG_20130619_064627_163.jpg

Last edited:
Very easy to use, and you control how deep you go by how many times you run the 45 second etching cycle. I have the same equipment from the same company in Ohio. Great service, and easy to deal with. Call and ask for Britt at 440-934-1249.

Thanks guys. I have another question are you having Lectroetch make your stencils or are you using the printer they sell for making them?

I sent a Word doc to them with the size and font of what I wanted. They took care of the rest.

IIRC, there is a one time art fee of $35 and the stencil sheets are $12 after that.

Stencils last depending on depth etch, etc.

I was told by them that the stencil making machine cost over $2000.00, so having them made is the way to go. You pay for the art work once, and they keep a file on it. The stencils are the cheap part. They last several times each, it all depends on how deep/cycles you run through each one. If I recall correctly, it cost about $900.00 to get set up with their most powerful machine.

I have a Marking Methods machine. It's a little pricier compared to some of the others out there, but it does a nice job. I should also add that it's the only one I have experience with.

Some great information here thank you very much. I ordered a Personalizer Plus and stencils from Lectroetch. Thanks again!