• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Barrel Marking??

Dennis_in_VA

Sergeant
Commercial Supporter
Minuteman
I know that you must engrave the caliber and Manufacturer / Gunsmith name on a barrel when you install one.

Would an individual have to put anything else besides the caliber on the barrel if it was a personally owned firearm if said person was not an FFL?

Re: Barrel Marking??

Nope, just right it on there with a Sharpie and you'll be good to go.

None of my own builds have anything but the neck diameter and OAL of the brass on them.... in Sharpie.

Am looking for the right CNC solution to start doing more with that, and add calibers etc though.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but if you are not an FFL holder your not obligated to do anything on your personal firearms. If you were to be an FFL holder you would need caliber on the barrel and the company name you are registered with the ATF and town and city on the action, but if the action was made by say Remington it does not need to be visible ie can be below the stock line. Of course that is open to interpretation according to your inspecting agent.

My FFL inspector informed me you are required to do nothing to a barrel, only a reciever if you manufacture one from scratch, or if you dedicate one for a sbr. Then it must have company name and location.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pavementends</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Dennis,
Since you "know" this perhaps you can post a link to the regulation?
pavementends </div></div>

I don't like the way you said "know".

Don't be a smart ass! That's how I'm taking it.

I hope I'm reading it wrong.

With a little effort you could have looked it up yourself but I dug it up for ya.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">§ 478.92 How must licensed manufacturers and licensed importers identify firearms, armor piercing ammunition, and large capacity ammunition feeding devices?
(a)(1) Firearms. You, as a licensed manufacturer or licensed importer of firearms, must legibly identify each firearm manufactured or imported as follows:

(i) By engraving, casting, stamping (impressing), or otherwise conspicuously placing or causing to be engraved, cast, stamped (impressed) or placed on the frame or receiver thereof an individual serial number. The serial number must be placed in a manner not susceptible of being readily obliterated, altered, or removed, and must not duplicate any serial number placed by you on any other firearm.<span style="font-weight: bold"> For firearms manufactured or imported on and after January 30, 2002, the engraving, casting, or stamping (impressing) of the serial number must be to a minimum depth of .003 inch and in a print size no smaller than1/16inch; and</span>

(ii)<span style="font-weight: bold">By engraving, casting, stamping (impressing), or otherwise conspicuously placing or causing to be engraved, cast, stamped (impressed) or placed on the</span> frame, receiver, or <span style="font-weight: bold">barrel </span>thereof certain additional information. This information must be placed in a manner not susceptible of being readily obliterated, altered, or removed. For firearms manufactured or imported on and after January 30, 2002, the engraving, casting, or stamping (impressing) of this information must be to a minimum depth of .003 inch. <span style="font-weight: bold">The additional information includes:</span>

(A) The model, if such designation has been made;

<span style="font-weight: bold">(B) The caliber or gauge;</span>

<span style="font-weight: bold">(C) Your name (or recognized abbreviation) </span>and also, when applicable, the name of the foreign manufacturer;
<span style="font-weight: bold">(D) In the case of a domestically made firearm, the city and State (or recognized abbreviation thereof) where you as the manufacturer maintain your place of business</span>;
</div></div>

Here is the whole Enchilada if you want to do some more research.

Now I did not see where any of this applied to an individual doing work (manufacturing) on his/her own firearms. But I think that IF you were to sell a firearm , lets say a Remington 700 that was rebarreled by the home shop machinist, I think you should at least identify the caliber and any other pertinent information such as neck diameter if it is a tight neck chamber. And in doing so, I think that you would be obligated to mark it according to he guidelines set forth by the regulations. OR, you could just write in in black Sharpie marker like I did (for a temporary solution. Those that saw my Badger got a kick out of it).

My shooting partner rides my ass over this. He's just jealous because his GAP didn't have such a sweet Sharpie Marker job like my Badger.

P4302033.jpg

P4302031.jpg

Dennis,

at the top of your quote it says

"How must licensed manufacturers and licensed importers identify firearms, armor piercing ammunition, and large capacity ammunition feeding devices?"

I would read that as 1) are you a licensed manufacturer or licensed importer? 2) If not then I would disregard anything that says. Your 'firearm' is your action, and you just changed the barrel. I would search for something about homebuilt barrels since you're simply asking should you annotate the barrel of a firearm w/ the caliber. You are not the manufacturer of the firearm.

I am not a gunsmith or lawyer, but we did build our own rifles and just used a sharpie same as you.

I was just putting the information down as I found it in the Regulations.

I did not find anything discussing how / what must be marked by an individual doing work on their own firearms.

I am going to contact the local agent just to see what they have to say about this.

I feel that if you are going to sell said firearm that had a new barrel installed by the owner, it should at least have the caliber engraved on the barrel (for the new owners benefit).

Rebarreling is not manufacturing unless you are buying, modifying and reselling said firearm. As a 01 gunsmith a proper caliber mark is a courtesy and additional protection from liability should someone get hurt shooting the wrong ammo and then they would still have to trace it back. Lots of luck on that if you didn't have it done yourself. I see them all the time come in with custom barrels and no way to tell who did the work or what brand of barrel. I mark mine on the bottom as a courtesy with the barrel brand, twist rate and date installed. I will only put my name on the side if we built the whole thing. Just a rebarrel, all they get is the caliber on the side and the barrel info on the bottom.

my smith offered me the option to put caliber on the barrel. I chose to do so just cause i think it made the build more complete.