• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Barrel Nut and Handguard Locking Types

gxer

Private
Minuteman
May 15, 2021
CA
Googling this didn't yield much useful information. I wanted to see if there is a list of comparing different locking types between barrel nut and handguard. What are the pros and cons. Anyone has good input?

ZEV 14 5/8” Wedge Lock Handguard

When I first picked-up the ZEV handguard, I immediately noticed the distinctive color and smooth and lustrous finish. The ZEV handguard has a velvety, luxurious look that feels so good in the hand. The ZEV handguard is sure to stand out on the firing line.

zev_wedgelock_handguard_003-2349074.jpg

The US patent for the wedge lock mechanism employed in the ZEV Wedge Lock Handguard states that it was invented by Michael Miller and James Reid. The patent was originally granted to Mega Arms and has more recently been transferred to ZEV Technologies.

wedge_lock_patent_01-2445789.jpg

The wedge lock mechanism that secures the ZEV M-LOK handguard to the ZEV barrel nut is a simple, yet elegant approach to fastening a handguard to an upper receiver. Speaking of the barrel nut, the ZEV barrel nut is a hefty 3.6 ounces of finely machined stainless steel. The ZEV handguard comes with a custom barrel nut wrench.

zev_barrel_nut_001-2445805.jpg

The ZEV wedge lock assembly sits in a bottom lip of the ZEV handguard. The slim design of the wedge lock assembly allows for a sleek, streamlined handguard profile when compared to some of the more bulbous designs on the market.

wedge_lock_patent_004-2445826.jpg

handguard_lip_01-2445818.jpg

wedge_lock_in_handguard_001-2445819.jpg

wedge_lock_in_handguard_front_01-2445825.jpg

The wedge lock assembly consists of a top wedge and a bottom wedge with a Torx bolt sandwiched in between them.

wedge_lock_patent_001-2445827.jpg

wedge_lock_002_resized-2445831.jpg

wedge_lock_bottom_wedge_001-2445833.jpg

wedge_lock_forward_view_001-2445978.jpg

wedge_lock_patent_003-2445847.jpg

top_and_bottom_wedges_separated_01-2445852.jpg

The top of the top wedge has a concave shape that perfectly matches the curvature of the barrel nut. The top wedge and the bottom wedge are mated at an angle such that when the Torx bolt is tightened, the top wedge is pulled rearward and upward wedging itself between the barrel nut and the bottom wedge and handguard forming an extremely solid lock-up.

The top wedge prior to being tightened . . .

. . . and after being tightened . . .

top_wedge_after_tightening_001-2445864.jpg

The ZEV Wedge Lock handguard used for this build is the 14 5/8” version and it’s manufactured from 6061 aluminum. The handguard, barrel nut and mounting hardware have a combined weight of 15.5 ounces.

The ZEV handguard has an indexing/anti-rotation pin at the 12 o’clock position. The hole in the ZEV handguard has an interference fit with the anti-rotation pin and mates precisely with the anti-rotation hole in the SOLGW upper receiver. The ZEV handguard also employs two anti-movement set screws at approximately the 04:00 and 07:00 positions.

wedge_lock_antirotation_pin_02b-2446748.jpg

SOLGW_upper_receiver_antirotation_001-2446117.jpg

wedge_lock_handguard_attached_01-2446112.jpg

The installed ZEV Wedge Lock handguard had zero degrees of rotation referenced to the picatinny rail of the upper receiver.

wedge_lock_handguard_zero_cant_001-2446906.jpg

Thanks Molon for your write up about the Wedge Lock system. I had a hard time discerning the difference conceptually between Wedge Lock, ATLAS, and the SLR system.

Seems all 3 of them are friction based systems against the contour of the barrel nut. The Wedge Lock appears to apply a clearer perpendicular pressure vector to the barrel nut while the ATLAS and SLR methods use a lateral pressure vector used to generate pressure against the barrel nut.

I also like how the wedge uses the entire screw thread length for it’s application of torque while the ATLAS and SLR just use the threads beneath their mounting pieces. This would make the Wedge much stronger and less likely to strip with over torquing.

Last edited:
Reactions: bfoosh006
ZEV 14 5/8” Wedge Lock Handguard

When I first picked-up the ZEV handguard, I immediately noticed the distinctive color and smooth and lustrous finish. The ZEV handguard has a velvety, luxurious look that feels so good in the hand. The ZEV handguard is sure to stand out on the firing line.

zev_wedgelock_handguard_003-2349074.jpg

The US patent for the wedge lock mechanism employed in the ZEV Wedge Lock Handguard states that it was invented by Michael Miller and James Reid. The patent was originally granted to Mega Arms and has more recently been transferred to ZEV Technologies.

wedge_lock_patent_01-2445789.jpg

The wedge lock mechanism that secures the ZEV M-LOK handguard to the ZEV barrel nut is a simple, yet elegant approach to fastening a handguard to an upper receiver. Speaking of the barrel nut, the ZEV barrel nut is a hefty 3.6 ounces of finely machined stainless steel. The ZEV handguard comes with a custom barrel nut wrench.

zev_barrel_nut_001-2445805.jpg

The ZEV wedge lock assembly sits in a bottom lip of the ZEV handguard. The slim design of the wedge lock assembly allows for a sleek, streamlined handguard profile when compared to some of the more bulbous designs on the market.

wedge_lock_patent_004-2445826.jpg

handguard_lip_01-2445818.jpg

wedge_lock_in_handguard_001-2445819.jpg

The wedge lock assembly consists of a top wedge and a bottom wedge with a Torx bolt sandwiched in between them.

wedge_lock_patent_001-2445827.jpg

wedge_lock_002_resized-2445831.jpg

wedge_lock_bottom_wedge_001-2445833.jpg

wedge_lock_forward_view_001-2445978.jpg

wedge_lock_patent_003-2445847.jpg

top_and_bottom_wedges_separated_01-2445852.jpg

The top of the top wedge has a concave shape that perfectly matches the curvature of the barrel nut. The top wedge and the bottom wedge are mated at an angle such that when the Torx bolt is tightened, the top wedge is pulled rearward and upward wedging itself between the barrel nut and the bottom wedge and handguard forming an extremely solid lock-up.

The top wedge prior to being tightened . . .

. . . and after being tightened . . .

top_wedge_after_tightening_001-2445864.jpg

The ZEV Wedge Lock handguard used for this build is the 14 5/8” version and it’s manufactured from 6061 aluminum. The handguard, barrel nut and mounting hardware have a combined weight of 15.5 ounces.

The ZEV handguard has an indexing/anti-rotation pin at the 12 o’clock position. The hole in the ZEV handguard has an interference fit with the anti-rotation pin and mates precisely with the anti-rotation hole in the SOLGW upper receiver. The ZEV handguard also employs two anti-movement set screws at approximately the 04:00 and 07:00 positions.

wedge_lock_antirotation_pin_02b-2446748.jpg

SOLGW_upper_receiver_antirotation_001-2446117.jpg

wedge_lock_handguard_attached_01-2446112.jpg

The installed ZEV Wedge Lock handguard had zero degrees of rotation referenced to the picatinny rail of the upper receiver.

wedge_lock_handguard_zero_cant_001-2446906.jpg
Seems to be a solid lock up but does come with a weight penalty, it also seems the handguard gets "pulled" into the upper as the screw tightens, which is nicer than leaving a gap... Reminds me of the 2A handguard.

I just used the SOLGW M89 handguard on a new build and its a type of wedge lock using a long stainless barrel nut. Probably the most impressive handguard I’ve installed or handled. I almost went with the ZEV. I think both are great designs. I wouldn’t be surprised if ZEV makes the M89 for SOLGW…. The finish on it is amazing.

Reactions: JS8588
I just used the SOLGW M89 handguard on a new build and its a type of wedge lock using a long stainless barrel nut. Probably the most impressive handguard I’ve installed or handled. I almost went with the ZEV. I think both are great designs. I wouldn’t be surprised if ZEV makes the M89 for SOLGW…. The finish on it is amazing.
They do.