• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Barrel Nut ID

MAHLMAN

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
I have looked in various places with no luck. Does anyone have any knowledge of who makes this barrel nut? Application in this case is a 64274 Square Drop 13.5" handguard on an AR-15.

Also, looking for someone who knows AR's in southern middle TN willing to perhaps impart some practical knowledge on what gun parts to pick and why.
BARREL NUT.jpg

Normally, non mil-spec barrel nuts are proprietary, and I would suggest contacting the manufacturer, but that's not really an option in your case. Squaredrop was AAC, whose parent company, Remington Arms, went bankrupt in 2020. JJE (PSA) bought AAC, but I don't believe the sale included any actual inventory, just the name and intellectual property. Many of those types of parts were sold as scrap metal before the bankruptcy sale. There are similar barrel nuts from other manufacturers, but the actual dimensions would probably be different (mounting screw spacing, etc.). Might need to replace the entire handguard, which typically include the nut.

@msgriff Thanks for the reply. Looking online for info regarding barrel nuts and handguards opens up a nightmare of incomplete information and sparse compatibility info. Any recomendations on a replacement handguard? Prices are all over the map and all I need is useful not pedigreed and expensive.

Unless the OP has the turnbuckle and barrel nut tool also, the barrel nut alone is practically useless. My advice, get a AeroPrecision R-One, BCM MCMR or KMR-A, or Midwest Industries Combat Rail and call it a day. Great rails, they'll come with the hardware you need, and install is pretty simple. It beats chasing your tail for parts just to save a few bucks.

Reactions: AllenOne1
Not sure what you're trying to accomplish.................just getting the nut off? if so use a strap wrench, might even have to heat it a bit if it's really tight.

Otherwise, take Trigger Monkey's advice............those are all good to excellent rails.

Or if you want to go the cheap route on a non-important banger gun, these work fairly well & are about as cheap as you can find something functional in a floated rail.

https://kmtactical.net/product-cate...15-parts-1/upper-parts/rail-systems-1/mlok-1/

MM

This is on an AR I got and when taking it apart to check things I see this barrel nut. That someone used a set of pliers or pipe wrench to tighten it offends me, I don't think I can put it in my lathe and turn it down past the gouges and have enough diameter to make it as secure as it now is. Plus the upper has more play then I want with the lower which was my whole reason for looking into the upper to begin with. None of my other upper to lower sets have this much slop and when I try other uppers to this lower they fit snug like I am used to. I read two camps of thought on this. One that says this slop is fine and you still have the accuracy of the barrel and upper intact so this is not a problem. The other says slop like this contributes to POI drift. I lean towards the slop is bad camp and so what I am really intending to do is replace the upper as cheaply as I can but still get as good of accuracy as this gun is capable of. I know one thing is for sure. Making mistakes that cost you, especially when you should know better, is a harsh teacher.

I have thought about just selling the problem on but I figure making my problem someone else's is not right.

Not sure what you're trying to accomplish.................just getting the nut off? if so use a strap wrench, might even have to heat it a bit if it's really tight.

Otherwise, take Trigger Monkey's advice............those are all good to excellent rails.

Or if you want to go the cheap route on a non-important banger gun, these work fairly well & are about as cheap as you can find something functional in a floated rail.

https://kmtactical.net/product-cate...15-parts-1/upper-parts/rail-systems-1/mlok-1/

MM
That is quite a price difference from most I have seen. When you say banger grade just what have you found with these?