• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Barrel Rankings

This topic is rather subjective but I'll chime in. I've had great luck with Proof prefits. Proof prefits have given me .5 MOA or better. It is a great value off the shelf. Two barrels from X-Caliber and both have shot very well also. Just as good as the Proof Prefits. I also had a Bartlein and accuracy was as good as the others. IMO the gunsmith chambering the barrel will dictate the performance. A Tier 1 barrel can shoot like shit if the chambering job is shit. I'll keep shooting Proof prefits unless I need a custom chambering.

I have 1 mcgowen prefit in 30 nosler. It was very hard to communicate with them but ended up with it and the chamber was terrible I ended up sending it back to get polished. Brass had lines all over it. They did fix the problem and actually the barrel shoots very good. I wouldn't buy again from them just because it's hard to communicate and the chamber was a no go. I know things happen but hate dealing with stuff.

Reactions: HogsLife
I have 1 mcgowen prefit in 30 nosler. It was very hard to communicate with them but ended up with it and the chamber was terrible I ended up sending it back to get polished. Brass had lines all over it. They did fix the problem and actually the barrel shoots very good. I wouldn't buy again from them just because it's hard to communicate and the chamber was a no go. I know things happen but hate dealing with stuff.
Too many top notch barrel manufactures out there to have to deal with nonsense.

This little gun sports a Shilen. I cant even guess how many rounds have been though it. But since in my day, I shot over 5000 rounds per year, a good many of those practicing with this handgun, I would hazard a guess that this handgun has at least 10,000 rounds through it.

F96F40D1-F37E-4FA6-B9B1-EC64E02FEBD5.jpeg
Since i broke my hand in 2018 and my back in 2017 and turned 74 a couple months ago, I simply can’t shoot IHMSA competitively anymore, so it does not get shot often anymore. Still, in 2021, it put three shots into an inch at 200 meters shooting Creedmoor style

I got a pva prefit on my trg 22, not to bash them too badly. Took like 15 weeks to get with kinda meh communication. I could not get it to shoot for the life of me. Tried like 6 ladder test with different bullets and powders. Shot 3 different factory loads. The thing will not shoot consistent to save it’s ass. Had my smith open up my free bore as I had about zero to start with, but no help. Im In over a grand into a paper weight. I’ve been loading and shooting a long time and plenty of other sub half minute guns that I can shoot well. My factory 308 barrel shot lights out. Rifle is since back to smith to have a bartlien spun on it. And a shilen select on another rifle. The whole experience kinda turned me off prefits.

I've own/shot Krieger & Bartlein. Personally I prefer Krieger, but if I need a barrel quick and the Bartlein is the only one of the 2 in stock, I'll buy it.

Reactions: Tikkaguy
I was diddy boppin through this thread liking posts and realized it was 21' thread, wondered how it got back up :p

My Criterion is insane precision so far. Only 50rnds on it, but good lawrt its a sweet shooter. Never had a Savage not shoot great. Just found two new factory take offs for $200! Got some Benchmarks enroute too.

my smith got my bartlien on a trg 22 done. Yeah the thing can shoot! 4 shot cluster. Sub 2 fps. Spread. Lol could be a fluke but I’ll take it 😂

Attachments

• 8B171AE4-A7ED-4D07-A89B-853AE911B4BB.jpeg
    8B171AE4-A7ED-4D07-A89B-853AE911B4BB.jpeg
    438.5 KB · Views: 43
I’ve had Krieger, Bartlein, Criterion, IBI, Benchmark ... they all shot better than 1/2 moa. Maybe I just lucked out

I’d give a slight edge to Krieger then Bartlein... but not even to make a real difference

On another note. Pretty sure desert tech uses lothar walther and I haven’t heard of anyone that hasn’t had stellar accuracy with them.

Reactions: st1650
I’ve had Krieger, Bartlein, Criterion, IBI, Benchmark ... they all shot better than 1/2 moa. Maybe I just lucked out

I’d give a slight edge to Krieger then Bartlein... but not even to make a real difference
My Criterion is picking up a little more copper than I'd like to see from a double hand lapped premium, but I am not gonna whine too much with it shooting 1/8" MOA! LOL I also have a few more enroute! :D😻

• Haha
Reactions: BurtG and Tikkaguy
My Criterion is picking up a little more copper than I'd like to see from a double hand lapped premium, but I am not gonna whine too much with it shooting 1/8" MOA! LOL I also have a few more enroute! :D😻
Lol let’s see some 5x5s or just a few 5 shot groups

• Love
Reactions: FredHammer
Lol let’s see some 5x5s or just a few 5 shot groups
Oh now you gong get it! Here is load development so far: My bad 1/8th is .125" I was thinking 1/4 at .250" I do believe there is an eighth in there though. :ROFLMAO:
thumbnail_image2 (1).jpg

LDTGT.jpg

thumbnail_image0.jpg

thumbnail_image1 (1).jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Evlshnngns
I'm a huge fan of criterion barrel blanks and have a Smith turn them. That is my go too anymore because there 6 to 8 weeks. But I do have a bartlein on its way and prolly do another bartlein on next barrel

Impressive. Not a 1/8” barrel though lol

Also I had somehow equates critter barrels with semi auto only

ARC uses criterion for their rifles and it’s absolutely a 1/2 moa or better barrel. I was able to get some 1/3 or better but I’d hardly call it “all day long”.

Reactions: BurtG
Oh now you gong get it! Here is load development so far: My bad 1/8th is .125" I was thinking 1/4 at .250" I do believe there is an eighth in there though.

View attachment 8074488

Why do you not measure all of the groups with the software app?
The improvement in accurately measuring groups compared to manual/edge to edge/ calibers is substantial.

Why do you not measure all of the groups with the software app?
The improvement in accurately measuring groups compared to manual/edge to edge/ calibers is substantial.

My dumb friend never heard of this software app. Can you remind him what it is?

Anyone here used hawkhill barrels always wanted to try one think I will just nice to hear experience with them

What distance do you guys shoot? I've heard the 4 groove doesn't do as good at longer range idk for sure

What distance do you guys shoot? I've heard the 4 groove doesn't do as good at longer range idk for sure
mine was a 223. shot to 1k. it did just fine

i pay no atention to 4, 5, 6 groove. i have hawk hill, proof, bartlein, kreiger, benchmark. couldn't tell you which has what they all shoot

Reactions: Schw15
I just get what's in stock. Krieger or Bartlein. Currently have two bartleins, one is a regular steel 6dasher and the other is a mod400 22GT. Both shoot awesome. Have a carbon six for my 6.5prc. Just need to get some rounds through it.

Number one on my list of criteria is skill, my own; and whether it's good enough to require only the very best equipment. It is not. If I did insist on tier 1, I'd be wasting a lot of very good money on very good equipment that I personally lack the skills to use to its full potential. I'd be surprised if I was completely alone in that on this site.

When my AR Stoner (Liberty?), PSA (???), and Savage (no guesses needed) factory barrels shoot a flyer, I am perfectly content to accept that the culprit is either my skills, or my barrel, or my load development. A miss is a miss, and anything that's not inside the X is a miss by my judgement. Obviously, I have a lot of misses, and wasting much time attempting to winnow out the error is no more effective then simply absorbing the blame fully on my own, and letting it go at that. OTOH, I pretty much know that a miss with my Lothar-Walther Barrel is my fault, period. Did anyone mention them above?

Do I compete? Sure I did, and may yet. Does all that built-in error discourage me? Absolutely not. I'm not in it for the bragging rights, there being nothing for me to be bragging about in the first case. I shoot for fun, comradery, and to find some use for my aging few guns remaining.

None of this is heresy. There is no sin to any of it. It's all about choices, and budgets, and about keeping a Wife happy for 52 years.

If you have a need to win, the above posts have what you need to read. Life's a lot easier when there's so much less to prove.

Greg

Last edited:
Not to derail the thread, but does anyone know of a barrel manufacturer that stocks .277 cal Chromemoly barrels in the tighter twist rates ie 1:8, 1:8.5 ?

want to throw a 20” rem Varmint contour barrel on my Pre-64 M70 and want to be able to blue it and look “somewhat” original
We make them in those twist rates but like everything else…made to order. We don’t make inventory. If it’s in inventory it’s either an extra from a overrun or customer never paid for it etc…

We are making a ton of 270cal barrels mostly ammunition test barrels for all the 6.8mm testing stuff. So running it pretty frequently.

@Frank Green what do you prefer in long range elr stuff 4 groove or 5r?
Obviously I’m not Frank. But he has posted on numerous occasions that he sees no performance difference in 4, 5R, 6 or any other config except that the 5R “may” be easier to clean due to the obtuse angle where lan meets groove.

Last edited:
Reactions: Schw15
I've been looking I guess only concern with 4 groove is bullet blow up but seems like it's not wide spread. I've been shooting 5r in everything and haven't shot a 4 groove for long range shooting with 10 rd shot strings

Reactions: Baron23

Looks like Terry does too

@Frank Green what do you prefer in long range elr stuff 4 groove or 5r?
5R hands down.

For the most part the style or number of grooves has no bearing on accuracy and or barrel life. That's been my stance for years with one exception is the short jacket 6mm bullets in BR shooting. There you want conventional rifling. 4 groove, 5 groove (not 5R). This is because those short jacket bullets and it's worst if it's a boat tail bullet...the bearing surface is so short there isn't a lot of bearing surface for the lands to bite on and drive the bullet.

Now a longer/heavier 6mm bullet like a 105, 107, 108 etc... 5R.

The 5R also helps fight bullet failure.

Where my stance has changed just since Aug. of last year was from test data that was shared with me. The 5R rifling didn't put any burrs on the sides of the bullet. Conventional rifling and in this case it was 6 groove put a burr on the side of the bullet and those burrs where as large as a 1/32" of an inch. This burr effected the bc of the bullet by as much as 5%. This testing was for 320 rounds fired and every bullet was photographed in flight after it left the barrels. They tested five barrels with 5R rifling and like seven barrels with the 6 groove rifling. So it was a large comprehensive test that was done. What they seen on the bullets was a total surprise to them. Other things where noted as well.

Now having concrete data to back things up more...I'm even more of a fan of the 5R rifling. Boots (Obermeyer) always said the 5R was more accurate. I don't think more accurate is the right way to say it. If the 5R helps the bc of the bullet it will help the flight of the bullet.

Hornady did testing several years ago with a 4 groove and a 5R barrel that we made along independently the Army did similar testing. All doppler radar at extended ranges and came to the same conclusion. It helped the flight of the bullet but didn't know exactly why. Now things are making more sense.

Later, Frank

Last edited: