• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Barrel recommendation for my custom 6.5 creedmoor (20 inches)

harry_x1

Khalsa
Supporter
Minuteman
Aug 13, 2019
Hi All,
Building a custom 6.5 creedmoor for hunting plus some target shooting. Looking to remain within 20 inches. Would like to build a really accurate/precise rifle… who in your view makes the most accurate barrels for bolt action rifles? Also any recommendations on twist, type of rifling etc are welcome. Budget is pretty flexible (buy once, cry once).

Thanks
Harjeet

Anyone reputable spinning up Kreigers, Bartleins, or Rock Creeks will do you well.
What action are you running?
You trying to buy a prefit or have someone else fit it?

Reactions: harry_x1
Anyone reputable spinning up Kreigers, Bartleins, or Rock Creeks will do you well.
What action are you running?
You trying to buy a prefit or have someone else fit it?
I have a Bighorn TL3 rem 700 short action.

are there any advantages of someone fit it in vs prefit? thanks for the clarification.

Bartlein #3 contour 8 twist is what I went with on my 20” 6.5 creed. GAP had it on the rifles for sale page as a 24” and George chopped it for me.…

I have a Bighorn TL3 rem 700 short action.

are there any advantages of someone fit it in vs prefit? thanks for the clarification.
Ate there any advantages of buying a blank and have someone do all the gunsmitthing over buying a prefit ? Thanks

Ate there any advantages of buying a blank and have someone do all the gunsmitthing over buying a prefit ? Thanks
There are plenty of guys who are making prefits that can make them as precise as you would want without even seeing the action. Do some shopping around(we have a lot if vendors here on the Hide that do quality prefits)and you might find it will be a little cheaper to order a prefit especially if they are having a sale.

Bartlein mtu 28'' or untapered 26 to 30'' love the weight find the happiness that is 6.5 creed moor .
and forever may you have

Some people swear by hand fitting a barrel down to the .0001, others recognize that the threads centralize everything back to 0 and being .0009 looser effects absolutely nothing.

So basically, if your smith has a specific reamer you like then use it. If you don’t care about the specific reamer then the proof with its default saami reamer will be just fine like it is for virtually everyone else on earth.

I would just get the basic 8 twist and 5r lands if there but 4 or 6 grooves work just fine in everything like they have for ever.
I’d probably get a varmint or Palma contour in whatever specific contour you want it to weigh in at.

Bartlien, Krieger, Hawk Hill, Rock Creek. Which ever you can find in the contour and twist you want, which for me would be a remington varmint or M24 8 twist. What ever rifling type they have available.
My personal no expense spaired choice would be bartlien 400modbb in 8 twist left hand m24 contour. Fitted by LRI.

Last edited:
I used to argue Bartlein until I was blue in the face. I wanted to try a lighter 16” barrel and PVA has their button rock creek prefit barrels for $550 and figured for that price why not and did a 16.5” light Palma. It’s a laser just like 24” Bartlein. I think choosing a reputable smith for quality work is more important than little details some people on here get wrapped around the axles about. The 6.5CM has been done a lot and like said above sticking with the standard 8 twist will serve you plenty well.

Obligatory shout out to PVA for prefits. Only drawback with them, they don't do sport contours as light as you can normally order from rock creek. Not sure how heavy/light you consider right for hunting. But, the ones I have gotten from them (savage and shouldered) have all shot very well.

Take a look at Gary Schneider rifle barrels. I really like his p5 rifling and his barrels do not break the bank. My last 338 barrel from him was just over $400. And when you call to place an order Gary answers the phone.

I would holler at Eric at Blue Mountain Precision and get him to spin you up a Hawk Hill or Benchmark. He likely has one, he will do it quickly, and he's a perfectionist. Call and talk to him and tell him what kind of pills you want to shoot and all and I guarantee you will be happy.

Yes, you can get the bore done tailored to what you are shooting. If you are going to want to reach the lands and mag feed it, then some of the larger gr stuff may be too long for you to do that with a prefit, ect..... this is why it's best to call and talk to Eric about it.