• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Barrel recommendations

woodsmoke

Private
Minuteman
Dec 29, 2019
Central Virginia
So, I’m looking to put together an AR15 upper. I have a 308 bolt gun for longer distance shooting, and blackout and 5.56 for their specific purposes. I want something that has some punch for steel out to 500m or so, that’s low recoil so my kids can shoot it, and something that I can use for deer just in case. I’m leaning towards trying 6.5 Grendel. Looking for any experience with specific brands. I’ve had good luck with Faxon, and have read that some folks have good results with At Stoner in that caliber. I don’t want to get stuck with a 2moa turd, but not really wanting to drop $4-500 on a higher end tube either. Sub Moa would suit me, trying to stay under $250. Is that doable?

For steel to 500 yards a 223/556 SPR/DMR type rifle is perfect. Ammo/loading costs are way less than Grendel too. If you shop around you can get a WOA SPR barrel on sale around $225 pretty regularly. Slap it together on a thick walled upper with a good adjustable gas block, and a good 12-16” forend and you’re good.

Not sure about other calibers as mine is 223 wylde but my odin works does well.

Thanks for the replies. Question for 223/5.56 guys, I have an spr upper as you described, and have been underwhelmed with performance on steel @400-500. Really weak impacts. I’ve used mostly 55 grain pills. Would heavier bullets, say 62-69 range, make much difference in that area?

Thanks for the replies. Question for 223/5.56 guys, I have an spr upper as you described, and have been underwhelmed with performance on steel @400-500. Really weak impacts. I’ve used mostly 55 grain pills. Would heavier bullets, say 62-69 range, make much difference in that area?

Yes, try 77gr as long as you have a 8 twist or faster. 77’s will get you good performance to 600. Magtech and IMI both have some very good but inexpensive 77gr match ammo. It’ll do 3/4moa out of a good barrel and is consistent at distance.

A good 69gr match load will still be better than 55’s, but not like the 77’s.

Reactions: Docsherm
I’ve got an 18” Odin works 6.5 Grendel barrel that is a hammer. I built it for my wife, but my son shoots it in prs style comps. He’s taken 2 south Texas whitetail bucks with it too. I’ve also got a 22” JP 6.5 Grendel that is even more of a hammer that I shoot in prs style comps, and have taken deer with it also. A 123 gr ELD-M at 2550 FPS hits steel at 600 with good authority. The 22” barrel is getting pretty close to trans sonic at 950y at my altitude, but 900 and in is a function of knowing your drops and reading the wind.

That said, I’m currently working on a load for a 224 predator (Grendel necked down to 224) for comps. More speed with less wind drift...

I have a pair of these barrels, a 20", and a 24", done up in a pair of Uppers made from AR Stoner components. Still doing load development, but they are progressing well. I think they're turning out to be a good purchase.

If my research is accurate, they are probably sourced from liberty. My Teslong borescope shows no visible internal defects.

Greg

Last edited:
Last I looked, ARP had 6.5 Grendel barrels on sale.

Have been more than impressed with a 20” Wilson Combat fluted Recon Tactical 6.5 Grendel, cerakoted black in one their sales for under $290. $40 less, w/o cerakote. Check for frequent sales. Have Bartlein, Lilja, Satern, JP and AA to compare and WC punch above their price class by a good bit. Cut rifled Saterns are most impressive, but $500+ with a fitted bolt.

Reactions: YotaEer
So, I’m looking to put together an AR15 upper. I have a 308 bolt gun for longer distance shooting, and blackout and 5.56 for their specific purposes. I want something that has some punch for steel out to 500m or so, that’s low recoil so my kids can shoot it, and something that I can use for deer just in case. I’m leaning towards trying 6.5 Grendel. Looking for any experience with specific brands. I’ve had good luck with Faxon, and have read that some folks have good results with At Stoner in that caliber. I don’t want to get stuck with a 2moa turd, but not really wanting to drop $4-500 on a higher end tube either. Sub Moa would suit me, trying to stay under $250. Is that doable?

I recently (as In a couple of weeks ago) picked up a Wilson Combat 20", 6.5 Grendel barrel that was on sale for around $250. Tyhey were the only show in town not sold out besides ARP.