• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Barrel replacement advice needed ...

rustyinbend

GySgt USMC 1976-1992
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Dec 9, 2018
    Bend, Oregon
    I have a Masterpiece Arms 300-WMBA rifle that I've shot like crazy for the last 3 years. Group sizes are now expanding (a lot), and it's pretty obvious that I've shot out the barrel. Anybody have any advice on what I should do next? It has a Remington-700 Long Action. Do I ...
    • Send it back to MPA and pay to install a new barrel?
    • Get a new barrel from MPA and replace it myself? (Never done that, not sure how hard it is.)
    • Get a different barrel from someplace else and pay to install, or do it myself?
    What's the best way to get a really good competition-ready barrel to replace the one that I've obviously worn through?
    Any advice is appreciated.

Just ordered everything I need. Rem-700 action wrench, 300-WM Go and No-Go gauges, and a pre-fit made-to-order competition heavy barrel from McGowen Precision Barrels. Already have a really good barrel vise, torque wrench, anti-seize, etc. Once everything arrives, I'm good to go with my first attempt replacing a barrel on my own. McGowen says 20 weeks lead-time on the barrel, but I hope that's BS ... we shall see. Hey ... it looks pretty easy in this YouTube video. What could go wrong? LOL

In the meantime ... I have a 300-WM barrel for my Barrett MRAD, so that should work until my MPA is back in the fight. Definitely a "1st World Problem" when you have to settle for a MRAD until your MPA is fixed.

Let someone else shoot it and see what the results are.
    Are you talking about the MPA barrel I feel like is "shot out"? I've got over 1,400 rounds through it, some pretty hot ... and for 1,200 of those rounds I shot it easily sub-MOA and got multiple 1-mile hits. For 200 rounds now, groups have been getting bigger and bigger, and now it won't hit less than 4-MOA ... sometimes much worse. That's definitely the profile of a barrel that's "giving up the ghost" ... but I suppose having someone else shoot it would verify my beliefs. I've got a borescope ... maybe I should take a peek first. If the rifling is "toast", the shooting confirmation isn't really necessary, right?

Reactions: Average guy
    Just make sure your torque wrench is working properly. I used a brand new one and overtorqued one of mine. Not good. As long as your wrench is good, it's super easy.

Are you talking about the MPA barrel I feel like is "shot out"? I've got over 1,400 rounds through it, some pretty hot ... and for 1,200 of those rounds I shot it easily sub-MOA and got multiple 1-mile hits. For 200 rounds now, groups have been getting bigger and bigger, and now it won't hit less than 4-MOA ... sometimes much worse. That's definitely the profile of a barrel that's "giving up the ghost" ... but I suppose having someone else shoot it would verify my beliefs. I've got a borescope ... maybe I should take a peek first. If the rifling is "toast", the shooting confirmation isn't really necessary, right?
    Borescope threads are always popular anyway so go for it. I'm sure you're right and it's shot out, but it would be cool to see what it looks like

I was not trying to be a smart ass... Age is catching up to me so I let other's shoot my weapons to establish my benchmark... There is a current discussion going here on the Hide about barrel wear... It's a good discussion..