• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Barrel Replacement on Springfield Waypoint 2020?

Dairygold

Private
Minuteman
Feb 23, 2019
Danville, CA
I just jumped off the phone with Springfield Armory and was shocked to find out that they have no barrel replacement process for the Waypoint 2020 rifle. I was told that it is intended to be used as a hunting rifle only and therefore when the barrel is shot out, the gun is done. Considering 6.5 prc and 6.5 creedmore have 1500 and 3000 round barrel life respectively, I thought that was pretty ridiculous. Also, considering Springfield Armory offers barrel replacement for their M1A platform, which has a much longer barrel life.

Now I'm sure that any old gun smith could replace the barrel on the Waypoint, however I was told that would void the warranty. A big reason why I would buy a gun from someone like Springfield Armory would be the ease of service and the warranty. Am I missing something here?

I know it would make a great hunting rifle, but to have a gun with only a 1500-3000 round useable life strikes me as crazy.

I just jumped off the phone with Springfield Armory and was shocked to find out that they have no barrel replacement process for the Waypoint 2020 rifle. I was told that it is intended to be used as a hunting rifle only and therefore when the barrel is shot out, the gun is done. Considering 6.5 prc and 6.5 creedmore have 1500 and 3000 round barrel life respectively, I thought that was pretty ridiculous. Also, considering Springfield Armory offers barrel replacement for their M1A platform, which has a much longer barrel life.

Now I'm sure that any old gun smith could replace the barrel on the Waypoint, however I was told that would void the warranty. A big reason why I would buy a gun from someone like Springfield Armory would be the ease of service and the warranty. Am I missing something here?

I know it would make a great hunting rifle, but to have a gun with only a 1500-3000 round useable life strikes me as crazy.

Why do you care about the warranty? If you haven’t addressed all the warranty issues during the lifespan of the barrel, then you’re stupid.

What's this Springfield waypoint rifle you guys are talking about? Never heard of it..... but I sure wish that more info was available.

Ummm...... mine was sarcasm... Due to the fact that I have 2 giant banners advertising the rifle for the last month.

Reactions: Blaster7Romeo

Did you research this before buying?
Typically warranties are voided when installing aftermarket parts. That's why so many of us buy from small shops or individual companies.
Did you call the PRS and tell them their PRS rifle is disposable?

Reactions: floridajpr
Did you research this before buying?
Typically warranties are voided when installing aftermarket parts. That's why so many of us buy from small shops or individual companies.
Did you call the PRS and tell them their PRS rifle is disposable?
I haven’t bought the gun. I was considering it against building on a custom action sitting in my safe. My gun smith has a four month wait list and I thought they did a nice job picking components. If I am going to need to go the gunsmith route or pre fit barrel route, every time I want to swap a barrel, the gun looses any edge to just doing a custom build in my mind.

F2E5EC64-A6BC-4C27-9952-92A1ACCC5F55.gif

I haven’t bought the gun. I was considering it against building on a custom action sitting in my safe. My gun smith has a four month wait list and I thought they did a nice job picking components. If I am going to need to go the gunsmith route or pre fit barrel route, every time I want to swap a barrel, the gun looses any edge to just doing a custom build in my mind.
If you ready have an action in your safe...
Buy an in-stock prefit or barrel nut setup. Screw on barrel go shoot.

Or call LRI I bet they are way faster.

Reactions: floridajpr

I bought a 2020 way point in 6.5 Creedmoor a year ago. I hear the bsf barrels are hit or miss. I guess mine was a miss. I sent it back to springfeild and called bsf with no fix I bought a proof barrel and had it put on. Now it is one my favorite guns.