• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Barrel rubbing stock

Tanman

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 23, 2009
Richmond, VA
I noticed that my barrel is rubbing my stock towards the inside end of the stock, above where my bipod is mounted. Can I just go in with sandpaper around a pipe or dowel to take out some material on the stock myself, or is there a better way? It's a Remington PSS with the HS stock btw.

Re: Barrel rubbing stock

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tim Schiavi</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I will bet you that it was rubbing on the left side when looking from the receiver am i right. </div></div>

Yup. Is that a common issue with the pss?

Is this because most guys are right handed and lay the rifle on its left side when reassembling it? I have noticed that when reassembling them there is a tendency for them to align on the left side.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tan Man</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tim Schiavi</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I will bet you that it was rubbing on the left side when looking from the receiver am i right. </div></div>

Yup. Is that a common issue with the pss? </div></div>

I've got two, both needed relief on the left front of the stock. I had another I had to send back because the barrel was bent AND twiste (!). That being said, the two I've got shoot fairly well if I'm on my game.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: The_Punisher</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Is it because...?</div></div>

I'm convinced the problem lies in the HSP stock. I believe it's due to the barrel channel not being in line with the bedding block. Whatever causes it, it's a testament to poor QC on the part of Remington to let these rifles out of the door with such an obvious problem. At any rate, a little time with some sandpaper and the problem is solved.