• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Barrel rust

Dildobaggins

Major Hide Member
Minuteman
  • Jun 26, 2020
    Took my 6 creed out to shoot today, and notice the outside of the barrel, which is stainless steel has tiny like specks of rust everywhere. It's not like pitted or anything I can run it off with my finger, which I'd imagine I shouldn't do, due to the oils on my hands This has been sitting in my house for about 6 months. Today was the first time I took it out to shoot.

So 2 questions.
    Any suggestions on how to clean the rust off?
    How can I prevent this? Could this be due to my house being to humid?

Thanks!

If it is a stainless barrel, I would be inclined to think some kind of metallic dust may on the barrel and that is what rusted.
    I've had this happen before

Reactions: Dildobaggins
    How to get it off: 0000 steel wool, with or without gun oil
    How to prevent it: dry it and oil it before putting it away, but beware of bringing a cold rifle into a warm building, or putting it away after getting rained on or whatever. I've ruined a bore by leaving a cold rifle in its case; it collected dew and rusted in the case. Found it a month later, much to my anger and dismay.

How to get it off: 0000 steel wool, with or without gun oil
    How to prevent it: dry it and oil it before putting it away, but beware of bringing a cold rifle into a warm building, or putting it away after getting rained on or whatever. I've ruined a bore by leaving a cold rifle in its case; it collected dew and rusted in the case. Found it a month later, much to my anger and dismay.
    Thanks alot man. Much appreciated! What would would you suggest?

just try wiping it down with a little CLP type oil on a rag first ... no need to go straight for the 0000 steel wool

Reactions: spife7980
    Thanks alot man. Much appreciated! What would would you suggest?
    I saw a test of a ton of different lubricants and oils and whatnot, and one of the top performers was Hornady One Shot (black can, not the red can, which is case lube for resizing). I just spray whatever the part is, wipe off any excess gently with a paper towel, and call it a day. Usually I don't bother wiping it off, cause it doesn't go on as an oil; it's an oil product in a very volatile solvent, so it dries up immediately and leaves a very thin protective film behind. Easy peasy.

Okay, just ordered some break free mil-spec CLP from Amazon. I'll try that first, and then if it doesn't work I'll go for the 0000 steel wool.

I saw a test of a ton of different lubricants and oils and whatnot, and one of the top performers was Hornady One Shot (black can, not the red can, which is case lube for resizing). I just spray whatever the part is, wipe off any excess gently with a paper towel, and call it a day. Usually I don't bother wiping it off, cause it doesn't go on as an oil; it's an oil product in a very volatile solvent, so it dries up immediately and leaves a very thin protective film behind. Easy peasy.
    Well shit, I like the sound of that as well! Thanks!

Reactions: KnowNothing256
    @Dildobaggins - I too would just use an oily cloth before taking steel wool to it. If its just surface rust...or as mentioned, metallic dust of a metal that will rust....no need to steel wool it.

As for prevention...yeah, a bit of gun rust inhibitor. I like BC Barricade. Have used it on skeet shotguns out in Maryland's awful humidity and never any rust.

33140-barricade-10oz-1__73713.1525446215.jpg

Now, this is real old school and I did transition to this about a decade ago....its old, nobody even knows what it is (well, not many people), and it works wonderfully. A very little goes a long way. Come in a small bottle with another bottle with felt pad at the bottom and a chamois. Put some on the felt pad, shove the chamois in there, and just take it out and wipe down your firearm.

Banner1-render.png

Stainless steel is a misnomer. A more proper term is "corrosion resistant". Most barrel "stainless steels" are 400-series martensites. As such, they don't have the chromium or nickel content of 300-series austenites.
    Get a 400-series warm and wet and it will quickly show rust. I saw it many times shooting Krieger barreled M14s in the rain at Dam Neck or Perry.