• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Barrel seems to have gone south

newguy2k3v2

Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Sep 16, 2009
    Bellville, Tx
    Noveske 308 barrel converted to run in a LMT. I got it used but initially it was a reliable 3/4moa or better barrel with fgmm or similar and in load development with 175smk and 168 it was less than 2moa for basically every combo. I had a random baffle strike with a socom 762 on it and after thinking about it it's never really been the same since. Now fgmm is 2moa and completely random patterns. I'm not sure how many rounds are down the barrel beyond the 1500-2k I've put through it. I removed the muzzle device and the crown was clean and looks fine.

first pic is the gas port, 2nd is some weird etching on top of and on the edges of the lands near the muzzle and then the throat and leade.

I haven't shot it in a while and I was attempting to rezero after switching to one of the 15.5" socom uppers and it was terrible. Threw the creedmoor barrel in after for a sanity check and it's 3/4moa or so like normal.

Tired of pulling my hair out. Anything specific I should look at?

Attachments

• Snap_001.jpg
      Snap_001.jpg
      210.4 KB · Views: 69
    • Snap_003.jpg
      Snap_003.jpg
      216.2 KB · Views: 67
    • Snap_004.jpg
      Snap_004.jpg
      252.2 KB · Views: 60
    • Snap_005.jpg
      Snap_005.jpg
      247 KB · Views: 64
    Ist is make sure nothing is touching the outside of the barrel which I'm sure that you've done. 2nd is I personally would chop off the barrel and recrown it. Making sure to eliminate pic 2. Don't know if that's actually the issue but it's the 1st logical step.