• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Barrel selection

titus7

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 1, 2008
Ridgecrest, California
Hey guys im working on building a target AR with an 18" barrel. My question is what are the real differences between makers. I would like a Noveske Barrel but have been looking at a White Oak Armament that is about $200 less. Can anyone please explain to me why the $200 difference other than the name/manufacturer?

Thanks in advance

Re: Barrel selection

You can't beat white oak. The price difference is probably just for the bigger name.

they are both match grade blanks--the Noveske has a chrome-plated bore--ie the addtl cost--diff barrels for diff purposes

So as for accuracy their shouldnt be much difference correct? Im just asking because everything Ive read about building a good precision AR is to not scrimp on the barrel or trigger, but Im just wandering if there is really that much of an accuracy difference between the two. If not Id rather save the $200, if that makes any sense

My suggestion is stainless for a precision weapon.

Usually, the more expensive stainless barrels are true match-grade hand-lapped barrels. The less expensive stainless barrels may or may not shoot as well, and may or may not live a long life (regarding round count before accuracy deteriorates).

I'm getting very good accuracy from a Rainier Arms Ultramatch barrel. I believe that it's a Shilen blank cut by WOA to Rainier specs.