• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing barrel set back

woody66

Private
Minuteman
May 6, 2009
San Antonio,Texas
I have a Rem 700pss. 308. The chamber is oversize. Once fired and then body sized and neck sized the brass will not fit in a Reding mic. seating die. How much do they have to cut off the barrel to rechamber it.
Woody

Re: barrel set back

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: derek smith</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have a Rem 700pss. 308. The chamber is oversize. Once fired and then body sized and neck sized the brass will not fit in a Reding mic. seating die. How much do they have to cut off the barrel to rechamber it.</div></div>Think: how can the chamber be so big that, after resizing, the brass case won't fit into a seating die?

Maybe only in exas?!

I use the same method to resize my ocom brass with no problems. I mike the PSS case and it is a lot bigger than the Socom brass even after body sizing.
Woody

Ok fun is over.

How are you adjusting your die, the brass gets longer before the shoulder gets pushed back, maybe your die is not adjusted correctly, if it is, I would send it back to Rem for a little warrenty work.

If you sized properly with a Redding Body die and it would not fit the sleeve of the Redding Mic seater.....
I would be calling Redding.

I have seen chambers so sloppy that a neck-sized case would not fit, but not a body or F/L sized case.
Are you sure you are getting a slight shoulder bump out of the body die? If not there may still be a bit of the web area that is not getting touched.

Either way, it depends on how far the chamber must be cut to hit fresh metal throughout the chamber. If the chamber is suffuciently large or untrue to the bore it may take a full length-to-shoulder. Of course, I am not a pro at chambering. A pro might know a good reason to do otherwise.

If you mean the brass is getting longer after sizing, then you are not setting back the shoulder. Like 427 said, it could be a die problem.

But if you mean that you have to set back the shoulder an excessive amount (more than .005) to get the brass back to the proper dimensions, then it could be a rifle problem.

Correctly setting back a barrel shouldn't take more than about an inch off of it, or there was more trouble to fix.

I think the problem is with the Redding small base body die not sizing it down enough. I just ran the brass throug a dillon
iFL die and it works in the mic. die. I will contact Redding to see if they can correct the die.
Thanks Woody

I am a little surprized the die is the problem, but even Redding can make a mistake. If its a small-base die it is even more surprising.

Where is the brass hanging up on the seater sleeve? The web or the neck? If its the neck, are you sizing all of the neck or just part of it? Another thing to try is body sizing only....just in case you are deforming the brass with your neck sizing operation.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: derek smith</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I think the problem is with the Redding small base body die not sizing it down enough.</div></div>Actually, the problem could be the opposite: SB dies are made for tighter than SAAMI spec. You don't need a small base die for a Rem factory chamber. You could be sizing the case too much. There may be nothing wrong with the die.