• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Barrel shank threads

Gerald in Ga

Private
Minuteman
Jul 7, 2006
GA.
Howdy,
Does anyone know of a book I could buy that lists the different barrel shank threads.

Thanks.

Re: Barrel shank threads

I have to try digging up the title, but it's called something like "The Bolt Action Rifle" and it's printed in about 1972 or so. It has a picture of the (then) new Ruger M77 on the cover. Paperback, blue background, and the back cover has a Webby Mark V on it.

There's an appendix in the back that lists barrel shank dimensions and threads for everything in the book that's covered, also action wrench prints too.

I left it at my girlfriend's parents 2 weeks ago, I have to go get it. But that book has what you need in it.

Thank you very much bohem,
If you would, please find out what the name and author of the book is.
Post it or PM is ok.

Look into or join a good gunsmith forum. There are a few that have tons of knowledge and can help you out alot. They dont vary a whole lot but do vary some. Most of the time you have to check the thread pitch and measure to figure out what they are and custom fit them to every barrel.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Gerald in Ga</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thank you very much bohem,
If you would, please find out what the name and author of the book is.
Post it or PM is ok. </div></div>

No problem, I'll try to find remember to pick it up this week sometime, maybe saturday.

If you're looking for something in particular let me know and I'll see if I can give you the information from the book, I have a feeling this thing is out of print.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Gerald in Ga</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks, I'm looking for the Browning A-Bolt threads </div></div>

Gotcha, if you don't hear from me by Monday send me a PM, I have the memory of a steel seive
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Gerald in Ga</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks for looking bohem. </div></div>

NP, too bad I couldn't find it.

I threaded a barrel for an A-bolt and the threads were 15/16 -20 ,if I remember correctly.

Hope this helps , Howard