• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Barrel shot out?

Cameron Wilson

Private
Minuteman
Dec 9, 2019
Hi Guys,

I was out at the weekend with a group of friends, trying to trouble shoot a friend’s Blaser rifle.

For those of you who are unfamiliar with the Blaser design, it doesn’t feature a conventional receiver. Instead, the bolt mates directly to the barrel, and the scope mounts, mount directly to the barrel. In this case, he was using a scope with a rail system, so there weren’t ‘any rings to potentially cause problems. All in all, it’s a setup that avoids a number of areas were problems conventionally creep in.

He had noticed that he had experienced uncharacteristically poor shot placement on a couple of deer, and sure enough, testing on paper revealed that the rifle was shooting 4-6MOA at 100yds.

We tried a variety of different ammunition, none of which was any better.

We also tried removing the moderator (suppressor) and shooting with a naked barrel, but that didn‘t really make any difference.

Then we tried swapping scopes over, with a scope that was known to be good. Again, no better.

The bizarre thing is that the group is almost entirely horizontal. There’s hardly any vertical dispersion whatsoever. At this point I would be suspecting something mechanical. But we had already ruled out the scope & moderator, and the design of the Blaser stock is so simple that there’s really nothing to go wrong.

Have you ever heard of a barrel behaving this way?

Is this what happens when a barrel gets shot out?

Generally a shot out barrel experiences random shot dispersal. In my experience when I get vertical stringing it is me behind the gun. Is there anything pushing on the barrel? Not sure how the Blaser forend mounts.

Does the guy reload? Has he measured throat erosion? What cartridge, how many shots do the barrel?

Check the crown for damage

If it were my gun I do some reloads with a bullet about .040" off the lands. No load work up, prior loads just seated closer to the throat

The 2 screws which hold the barrel down, check those. You didn't say that you checked them. It's a quasi "switch barrel" design and I've seen this before when only one screw was tight, and the other was finger tight.

Reactions: TwistedOneinSeven