• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors Barrel size for 35 whelen and a 9mm brake.

AKDAVED

Private
Minuteman
Apr 9, 2023
AK
Looking to re-barrel my 35 whelen M77 Hawkeye. What barrel size should I consider for a can. Can I use 9/16x24 threads or do I need 5/8x24? The barrel is a thin sporter model right now at about .60.

Most muzzle brakes are 9mm and listed for 9mm handgun and 350 legend. The problem is not the diameter of the break, but the threads. They are basically geared towards pistols with plenty of 1/2 and 9/16 threaded models out there. 5/8 threads I would think to be ideal of the Whelen, but there are not many breaks for the .358 with that big of a thread pattern and none for SiCo cans. It would be convenient to make a barrel with 9/16 threads and make it easy to attach the break and can without an adapter and added length. Not sure there will be enough of a shoulder though and there is not much data on it.

Last edited:
9/16-24 is the most common thread for this, or 9/16-28 which offers a little more wall thickness under the threads.

You don't need a heavy profile barrel, just a shoulder for the threads. It can taper back down to a thinner profile behind the shoulder. For a suppressor you'll want a shoulder in the .660" diameter range or larger. If it's just for a brake you can get away with a lot less shoulder, like my factory Rem 700 barrel that someone threaded 9/16-28 for a brake install.

Just got my m77 Hawkeye rebarreled. Pacnor with a can. 9/16 threads. First 5 break in shots were under an inch. Plan on using it for moose and black bears. Been going over my bullet choices. I am starting out with 225 partitions. Will likely switch to the TSX when I run out. Nosler is very proud of their partitions. The TSX us about 1/2 the cost and is a proven big game slayer. Interested in Hammer bullets too.

Reactions: Yondering
I've used those 225 Partitions for nearly all of my Whelen hunting, and they're an excellent bullet, but dang it Nosler has gone nuts on their pricing of them now, same with the 225 Accubonds too.

Of course typical Whelen loads are right in the ideal velocity range for traditional cup & core bullets anyway, so a premium bullet isn't really needed. I don't recall if the 225gr Sierra SP is still available but it used to be a decent option for less cost than the Partition.