• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Barrel speed up ?

deersniper

Protecting the Sheep
Banned !
Minuteman
  • Feb 22, 2007
    Northeast
    How many rounds does the typical barrel take before it settles down and stops speeding up?

Have a match next weekend a new 6mm barrel sitting here pondering if I should try and break this in or just shoot the 6.5cm barrel im using now

100-200

i have the same dilemna. 2 new barrels arriving. match on 3/12

not sure i want to waste bullets powder and primers to put the extra 100 rounds through it just for a 1 day match where inside 600 is what matters anyways (50 to work up pressure max, speeds, and a load. at least dasher is easy)

How many rounds does the typical barrel take before it settles down and stops speeding up?

Have a match next weekend a new 6mm barrel sitting here pondering if I should try and break this in or just shoot the 6.5cm barrel im using now
    I have shot out several 6mm Creedmoor barrels and they settle in around 120rds. I run that caliber around 3150 +/- so I typically load to around 3020ish during the break in after I do the initial ladder pressure testing. 6 Creed is awesome, but a budget of 1,200rds per barrel including 120rds to settle in gets expensive.

Reactions: deersniper
    >100 but <200. Somewhere in there.

Don’t burn yourself by trying to tune a load before it’s done speeding up.

My criterion 6Br barrel just did it in 150 rounds.

My Gen 3 RPR in 6.5 was settled in around 100-200 rounds. A quality aftermarket barrel will probably settle in sooner. I was chasing my ass for a while doing load development during those first 100-200 rounds because the barrel kept speeding up the whole time. If I had it to do it all over again, I would have just picked up a couple hundred factory loads in good brass and just had fun for 200 rounds while saving the brass.

I usually wait for 200 rounds before I get real serious. I can kill two birds with one stone because It gives me a chance to get my brass fired at least twice before I get serious with my load and set my die up for shoulder set back.