• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Barrel stoves...

noahmercy

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 7, 2010
Sheridan, Wyoming
Just got a double barrel stove kit and a couple nice 55 gallon drums so I can heat my garage/workshop this winter. I was hoping some of you fine folks on the Hide have similar setups and could share some experience with me.

The first question I have is this; while the instructions recommend building a couple small fires in the stove initially to "condition" the paint and keep it from peeling/flaking, is that going to lead to misery down the road? Should I burn off the factory paint and reshoot them with high temp? (The barrels are very clean oil drums and have a good solid coat of red on them.)

If you suggest removing the factory paint, what is a good way to do so? I figure chemical stripper would be the easiest, but bead blasting would work (but, God, do I hate blasting), and I wondered about using a weed burner.

How about the small amount of oil left inside the drums? Just let it burn off with the first fire?

The manual recommends putting a couple inches of sand in the bottom of the fire box. My step-dad said just leave a couple inches of ash in the bottom...same "insulating" effect and less likely to hold moisture and rot out the barrel. I tend to believe him, as he's a savvy son-of-a-gun, but I'd sure appreciate any input from y'all.

I know it's 100 degrees outside right now and the last thing on most peoples' mind is wood fires, but I want to get this project finished before I <span style="font-style: italic">need</span> it and do it once (and right).

Thanks, Hiders!
wink.gif

Re: Barrel stoves...

I put one of those together once and just built a big fire in it and let her burn (with me safely outside) till it burned clean...no osmell. Why bother painting them at all if they are just for use in the shop?

Your step dad told you right. If you use sand youll have to worry about digging it out every time you clean the ashes out. To protect the bottom get some fire brick and line the bottom. That will keep it from burning out, and help to hold the heat...and leave a couple of inches of ash as will as that will help keep a good coal bed.

No hurry, it will be cold as hell in Wy. shortly.