• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Barrel Suggestions for AR-15 Build

Mifune326

Private
Minuteman
Feb 17, 2017
North Georgia
Good morning everyone,

I'm looking for a little advice. I'm after a complete 16" mid-length gas barrel in .223 Wylde for my current AR build. I also prefer the Front sight base for that old school look. I currently have a Ballistic Advantage 5.56. The purpose of the build will be for duty/home defense. I was checking out White Oak but they don't offer the FSB. Suggestions on companies you prefer who would offer that set up?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
Compass Lake Engineering should be able to set you up . I know this isn’t exactly what you’re looking for but it’s ready to ship and it’s 16”.
00F9580D-0BB7-4B5D-95B4-3502245A2FF1.png

I think I have the exact same upper (linked above) from DSA. The first one they sent had a goofed up front sight post. They sent me another without hesitation. Great customer service.

Sorry fellas, I neglected to state in my original post that I already have an Aero Precision upper and all the other essentials. Just need a barrel to complete the build.

Reactions: JS8588
Good morning everyone,

I'm looking for a little advice. I'm after a complete 16" mid-length gas barrel in .223 Wylde for my current AR build. I also prefer the Front sight base for that old school look. I currently have a Ballistic Advantage 5.56. The purpose of the build will be for duty/home defense. I was checking out White Oak but they don't offer the FSB. Suggestions on companies you prefer who would offer that set up?

Thanks in advance!
You should know that most of the answers you will get are from people who didn't even read your original post or don't have a clue what you are looking for. Has anyone linked you to a Wylde chambered mid gas barrel with a mounted FSB?

I would buy the CLE. Douglas myself.
I wasn’t kidding . Here’s the DSA upper linked above. Forgive the mess. LOL
0588C7A9-4DD4-443F-BE61-443DD725562C.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: Mifune326
OP, what barrel profile do you want? Are you willing to buy the FSB separate from the barrel?

After lots of reading and research, I'm starting to lean away from government profiles, and more toward "specialized" profiles.

For midlength, I'm starting to think a Centurion mid-weight might be "the best" all around set up (but they use a 5.56 chamber). Other manufacturers make similar profiles, as well. I think Criterion does the wylde chamber on their Core series. Just depends on whether you prefer a particular process, materials, etc.

Anyway, my recommendation is Centurion Arms, but I hear a lot of good about Criterion as well. You can order direct, or from third parties such as Rooftop Defense and Reinier Arms.

Reactions: Mifune326
You should know that most of the answers you will get are from people who didn't even read your original post or don't have a clue what you are looking for. Has anyone linked you to a Wylde chambered mid gas barrel with a mounted FSB?
I hear ya brother. I still appreciate the input re: which manufacturers they respect.

OP, what barrel profile do you want? Are you willing to buy the FSB separate from the barrel?

After lots of reading and research, I'm starting to lean away from government profiles, and more toward "specialized" profiles.

For midlength, I'm starting to think a Centurion mid-weight might be "the best" all around set up (but they use a 5.56 chamber). Other manufacturers make similar profiles, as well. I think Criterion does the wylde chamber on their Core series. Just depends on whether you prefer a particular process, materials, etc.

Anyway, my recommendation is Centurion Arms, but I hear a lot of good about Criterion as well. You can order direct, or from third parties such as Rooftop Defense and Reinier Arms.
Thank you. I'll have a look at both of those too. I'm thinking either Gov or SPR

Curious, how come?

You want reliability and the ability to run full pressure ammo. The chambers on the 5.56 guns are a little more generous and will accommodate a round that may be slightly out of spec. You don't want a tight chamber on a gun that may be run hard in a defensive scenario.

There may be a little bit of accuracy loss but inside the house does a 1/4 MOA really matter? In my experience a quality 5.56 chamber will still print good groups. If you aren't free floating the handguards then you are going to see some drift there anyway.

I know you said Wylde, but I’ve had one of these LW DD barrels for 10 years now and it shoots awesome. Never had an issue getting 1 MOA or under with good ammo. It’s not pencil barrel light, but handles really well. Just something to put in your crosscheck...

You want reliability and the ability to run full pressure ammo. The chambers on the 5.56 guns are a little more generous and will accommodate a round that may be slightly out of spec. You don't want a tight chamber on a gun that may be run hard in a defensive scenario.

There may be a little bit of accuracy loss but inside the house does a 1/4 MOA really matter? In my experience a quality 5.56 chamber will still print good groups. If you aren't free floating the handguards then you are going to see some drift there anyway.
I agree. Thank you for taking the time to explain.

I know you said Wylde, but I’ve had one of these LW DD barrels for 10 years now and it shoots awesome. Never had an issue getting 1 MOA or under with good ammo. It’s not pencil barrel light, but handles really well. Just something to put in your crosscheck...

👍🏻

A good barrel is a good barrel.

I built this for a young LT at Benning. I spun the barrel from a Green Mountain $60 blank. He shot this group on the KD range 300 meters with A1 ammo.
20200929_125946.jpg
20200728_214705.jpg
20200728_214616.jpg
Resized_20210311_124350.jpeg

Reactions: BCP
This is the barrel you need...

Heh

Reactions: BCP
With a FSP, You can’t go wrong with these barrels bellow. FYI criterion and krieger are related / associates or some shit. They make a great CL barrel.

Bartlein blank and let a smith do his magic. Wylde chamber, 5/8-24 threads, use a WOA competition barrel extension

Reactions: 81STFACP
Good morning everyone,

Thanks in advance!
I have several of the older Rainier Arms Match and Select Series barrels when they were still using Shilen blanks... Man they're accurate! All of those rifles are tack-drivers. I have a Faxon Match 5R 6.5 Grendel barrel that's shooting 3-shot groups of my handloads in the 0.3's. So I'm happy with that, as well. Spend the money on a good high-quality barrel from a reputable company. You will never regret that decision.

Anything CA will shoot lights out.

Lothar walther as well

Last edited: