• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Barrel swap and 6mm cartridge questions

Soupcan

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Jun 29, 2020
    I’m starting to gather some ideas about a build I would like to put together and would like to tap into the wisdom of the group on a few topics.

I’m thinking about a build centered around a bighorn TL3 action. I’d like to have 2 barrels, one in 6.5 SAUM and one in a 6mm - either 6br or 6 creedmoor (I realize this will require a bolt head swap, but this appears pretty straight forward with the bighorn actions). The intent of this build will be to use the SAUM as a big game hunting round (whitetail/mule deer, pronghorn, maybe elk) with occasional time at the range. The 6mm option will primarily see time recreational shooting at the range (not competition) but I’d like it to serve as a varmint caliber as well. I’m thinking of having LRI do the work, but I’ve considered some of the prefit options as well (straightjacket, Altus). At the moment, I’m not considering the switch lugs or any quick change options, but rather thinking of two shouldered barrels. As a baseline, I consider myself mechanically capable, but no one would mistake me for a machinist or a gunsmith. I have never removed a barrel from a bolt action rifle. My questions are:

1. How challenging is it to remove and swap shouldered barrels? My reading would suggest a barrel vice, action wrench, torque wrench and grease for the threads would be the requirements, with go/no go gauges for safety check. Am I missing anything? Is this as straight forward of a procedure as it sounds? Any tips or tricks?

2. Regarding the 6mm calibers, does anyone have experience with the factory loads from Norma or Lapua for the 6br? How about the prime 6mm creedmoor loads (107s or the 115s). For those who have used factory loads in the 6mm creedmoor, are you using a SAAMI spec chamber? If not, what freebore are you running? I do intend to reload for these, but would like the option of using factory ammo if needed.

3. Am I missing out by avoiding the quick change lug options?

4. Any other insight of advice on this plan would be appreciated. Feel free to point out any foolishness. Thank you in advance.

Last edited: