• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing barrel swap--gunsmith help please

tx25male

Private
Minuteman
Nov 5, 2008
oklahoma
are there any gunsmiths that can help me out? i have a browning a bolt (270 winchester) and have been wanting to replace the factory barrel with a premium one. a fellow hide member is selling a take off barrel from a weatherby mark v accumark (kreiger; 270 winchester). can this barrel be installed on my a bolt by a gunsmith?

Re: barrel swap--gunsmith help please

maybe....if the thread pattern is the same....then hope it head spaces....and if the gunplumber got the correct action bar.

I don't know the Browning tenon measurements off the top of my head. My best recomendation is to contact the 'smith you want to do the work and ask HIM. That way you are getting an opinion of what HE can do. That prevents a conflict of opinions as to what is possible.

A lot of 'smiths (somewhat justifiably) don't want to work with used barrels. It usually becomes their fault if the rifle won't shoot, but they didn't cut the chamber or crown the barrel, so really have little control over the situation. Risking a reputation on something like that is questionable judgement. You also run the risk of limiting yourself to working with those who have little good reputation to risk.

If you think that weatherby barrel is a premium barrel, you have a lot to learn, It's a OEM barrel made by Krieger, nothing close to what a Krieger cut rifled blank is. The threads WILL NOT match. Your looking at a set back and rechamber. If the original chamber is our of concentric more than a few thou it is very difficult to get the new chamber perfectly concentric, as would be the case with a new barrel.
I have done a few of the "I'm broke and have this used barrel" jobs and I shake my head in disbelief. Throw good money after bad.

if it's cheap enough you might get lucky. you can always pawn it off on someone who thinks he knows more than you do.{ha*ha}

It's probably a better idea nad more cost effective to buy a new barrel. You can get a nice barrel from McGowan already threaded, short chambered and crowned for around $300, then pay your 'smith to swap and finish chamber it. It is a Browning though, nice rifle but not known for pinpoint accuracy.

The A-bolt uses a 15/16"x 20 thread pitch (.937" major O.D.)
The MK 5 uses 1.061x16 with a minor OD of .980".
You should be OK. You should be able to turn the Wby barrel down to .940" and rethread. You may still need to clean up the chamber though. I'm with the above guys; unless labor if free, get a new barrel from a good source.