• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Suppressors Barrel threading = damage to barrel finish?

rogue308

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 29, 2009
TX
I was going to post this in the bolt rifles section but then thought it might be better suited here.

I just heard back from GAP in reference to threading my barrel with protector. I was told it wouldn't be an issue but when they throw the barrel on the lathe it damages the finish and they will have to cerakote it back to black (which is what it is right now) or polish it if it's ss. Barrel is a .30 cal 20'' Krieger 1 in 10'' if it matters.

My issue is that I'm beginning to believe this will be counter productive. Thread job is $150, cerakote is another $50 and on top of that I start load development all over again. Barrel has around 1500 rds through it. Would it be more cost effective to just buy a new barrel that's already threaded? How bad does this mess up the finish? Barrel in question:

090.jpg

Re: Barrel threading = damage to barrel finish?

Well to thread it correctly, they will have to yank the barrel off the action and put it in the lathe. Both can put scratches into the barrel

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bacarrat</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Well to thread it correctly, they will have to yank the barrel off the action and put it in the lathe. Both can put scratches into the barrel </div></div>

Yeah, I understand how the scratches get there. I wasn't asking how it gets messed up. I was asking if it's even worth it to dump $200 (plus shipping each way) into a used barrel with 1,500 rds. Thanks.

ETA: and how bad the scratches are. I'm not a cosmetic kind of guy and if it's minor I don't think I would mind rolling with it. If anyone has pics of a barrel after this is done that would be great.

Give these folks a call and see what they say Tornado Tech
The Barreled actions that I have sent them have come back in the same shape.
They seem to be busy as hell so the wait maybe intolerable.

Deployed right now, couldn't bare being without my main shooter when I was in the states so I figured now is the perfect time. I could care less if they take 3 months as long as it's good work. Thanks, I'll give em a shout.

The very best is threaded ON THE ACTION. Kept concentric by indication off the bore. FULL STOP on Tornado Tech.

Do not remove your barrel from the action. Those that do just won't or don't, just do not have the right GIANT lathe. GO to AWC where they do .50 on the action. I have used there work for decades, perfect in all regards. Cost $150 included thread protector (set on to perfect barrel blend.) That includes recoating the threading. $195 if you want threading and full coloration including the receiver (barreled action.)

Metric thread...more expensive.

Now as to threading a barrel with 1,500 rounds...your call.

true, but taking a good shooting barrel off of an action for a poor thread job and increased risk of inaccuracy is a sign of a different kind of madness.

Gap threads all my barrels for me and they dont take them off the action from what I can tell. I have never had an issue with them scratching the finish.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RollingThunder51</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The very best is threaded ON THE ACTION. Kept concentric by indication off the bore. FULL STOP on Tornado Tech.

Do not remove your barrel from the action. Those that do just won't or don't, just do not have the right GIANT lathe. GO to AWC where they do .50 on the action. I have used there work for decades, perfect in all regards. Cost $150 included thread protector (set on to perfect barrel blend.) That includes recoating the threading. $195 if you want threading and full coloration including the receiver (barreled action.)

-----------------------------------------------------------------

I agree AWC did two for me you cant tell there is even a thread protector on the barrel incredible tight perfect fit and I actually thought they had forgotten to do the work almost invisible. PG

</div></div>

Sounds like AWC might be the winner. Thanks for the tip guys. I'll shoot em an e-mail.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RollingThunder51</div><div class="ubbcode-body">true, but taking a good shooting barrel off of an action for a poor thread job and increased risk of inaccuracy is a sign of a different kind of madness. </div></div>

Taking a barrel off the action has nothing to do with the quality of a threading job.

With short 20" barrels and some lathes the chuck thickness is to long for you to leave the action while still chucked in. So some Smiths pull the action off rather than having it hit their expensive equipment. I know even on my 22" the action was removed. He put a couple of lines of tape down on the barrel, clamped it into the barrel vice and broke it loose, removed the tape and went to town cutting threads. The process went in reverse order when he was done with the job.

If you're worried about a scratch, then you need to use your weapon more. Cerakote is some tough stuff, it will take a lot of abuse. 1500 rounds doesn't warrant a new barrel, especially in a 308.

GAP has some top notch Smiths. They would get my nod. Here's my thoughts on AWC, they make suppressors, let them make suppressors and leave the threading to a Smith.

xdeano

I don't think your questions have been answered. Is it worth the money to do thread and Cerakote and I say yes compared to getting another barrel in which you would still have to start your load development all over again. With only 1500 rounds down the tube the barrel has lots of life left in it so paying $200.00 dollars is little compared to going to down the new barrel route which will cost you $500-600. It is more cost effective to do what you are doing.

In the end of the day I bet your rifle will be just fine and your load development will not be as much as you think. Think of the people who only shoot off the shelf - their load development is none. Plus working up loads is half the fun of shooting - it is the science aspect to shooting.

I had ADCO thread and profile a Remington 700 Tactical barrel for an Ops Inc 3rd Model 30cal and I can't find any damage to the original factory finish. AND, I had the barreled action back in my hands in 10 days from mailing it to them.