• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors barrel threading for new suppressor

spotswood

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 23, 2009
Florida
I am deciding which suppressor I want to add to my new AI 308 that has a 19 inch fluted barrel and am leaning towards the Shark. I will need to have the barrel threaded. Mile High Shooting has suggested that I can send the rifle to VIrginia to have the barrel threaded.
Should I wait to take delivery of the suppressor and then send them together?
Who should I be entrusting my rifle to thread the barrel?
I was considering fitting a 338 can on to my 308 in case I end up with another rifle. Not sure if it is worth it though as it might be a little larger and heavier in size.
Any thoughts.
Thanks

Re: barrel threading for new suppressor

Send it to George at GA Precision or Mike at Tornado Tech for threading. George has ALWAYS done right for me.

Call the gunsmith and ask what they prefer. I had American Precision do my thread work and they did an outstanding job.

ADCO does a fantastic job, and turnaround is excellent. Tornado Tech is the standard by which all others are judged, but call 'em to see what their backlog is - 'cause it can get kinda hairy.

Personally I would get the paper work started on your can, that takes the longest.If the dealer has the cans in stock they will give you the Q.D. mount then you can send that to the gunsmith and won't have to worry about sloppy fitup, If that is the route your going? I would go with Q.D. my friends that haven't are kicking themselves and I am tired of getting there suppressors off there guns without ruining the threads, just my two cents. I have YHM and have no complaints I know there are a few better but for the money you can't go wrong.

My dealer's web page is exeterarms.com he sells all brands of suppressors and he has a new lady doing the paperwork turn around has been alot faster my second paperwork took 8 months to get back since the change at the ATF the last one took 3 months.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: NF41780</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Personally I would get the paper work started on your can, that takes the longest.If the dealer has the cans in stock they will give you the Q.D. mount then you can send that to the gunsmith and won't have to worry about sloppy fitup, If that is the route your going? I would go with Q.D. my friends that haven't are kicking themselves and I am tired of getting there suppressors off there guns without ruining the threads, just my two cents. I have YHM and have no complaints I know there are a few better but for the money you can't go wrong.

My dealer's web page is exeterarms.com he sells all brands of suppressors and he has a new lady doing the paperwork turn around has been alot faster my second paperwork took 8 months to get back since the change at the ATF the last one took 3 months. </div></div>

1) SHARK is not a QD suppressor
2) I own both QD and thread on cans, they are all great shooters and I see no underlining point that makes one better then the other.
3) Why would you risk ruining their threads when you take off the can? Why do they have to have you do it? Do you have the magic touch when removing a thread on can? They are pretty easy..... turn counter clockwise and if hot, grab some gloves.

Because obviously they didn't use antiseize or tightened the piss out of them? Then they start seizing up! I am in the machining business they are business men, so they call me with these stupid questions before they fuck everthing up, I get them off and have to run a tap through there can and a die over the barrel. I don't know what the hell he did I just stated it because I highly doubt he was the first to get his can seized on his threads, I was being courteous to someone that hasn't owned a can that sees the thread so they would know.

I see nothing that makes one better than the other either, but I seen he was thinking of buying a 338 so he can move it to multible guns.

As stated - I own both and I have never had to use anti-seize on my threads. The suppressor manufacturers will mostly tell you not to put anything on the threads, period. Heat can do funny things to barrels and cans.

If you are constantly running a tap and die down their cans you have voided their warranties AND that would also indicate they are not attaching the cans in alignment with the threading on the suppressor. You can't just run a tap and die over the barrel and can. You have to check alignment of the threading with the bore and exit hole of the suppressor. You are setting them up for a baffle strike if you are blindly tapping and threading by hand.

What are you a machinist of?

When I picked up my Shark, I had 737Shark thread my barrel. The way I see, if the same person is threading my barrel as is making the can, I can be assured that any error is minimized.

Contact 737Shark here on the 'hide.

There are many guys on the Hide that are well qualified to thread your barrel,

Short Action Customs
RWS Gunsmithing
GA Precision
Surgeon Rifles
Tornado Technologies
ADCO

The list is almost endless!

thanks guys.
I have a YHM with QD now on two AR's. It has worked great.
I have a gemtech that threads on the barrel of my walther pistol and has been good. No problems with either ever.

AI International is in the process of having SAS make their cans with QD but I am not familiar with them and have not heard much about them.
I do like what I have seen and heard about the Shark but realize that it threads directly on the barrel.
I have been trying the Shark website but it is not loading lately.
Thanks

There is actually much more to it.

When you are in the process of threading a barrel you need to ask the following:

1. I want to thread my barrel, Do you thread off of the OD or the ID? (If they say "what do you mean?" STOP. You ONLY want the ID.)

2. I want my threads gauged, do you have thread gauges? (If not,STOP.)

3. I am looking for someone that has new thread tooling, are your cutters new? (A good answer is followed up by a scornful look and a "only a fool would use anything other than nice fresh cutters.)

4. What shoulder do you recommend? (That should be followed by "depends, what can do you have?" is a good start)

Get these four right and you do not have to send anything over but the barrel.

IF you see yourself as actually committing to .338, that is what you should buy.
So at least you heard it from someone....forget QD on all precision rifles.
Weight is not the issue (100% titanium) but tacked as opposed to 360 titanium welded baffles IS the issue.

One almost has to try to screw up getting their barrel threaded. There are many very good people out there...and many unbelievably bad threading jobs too. Having 737 do it all seems like a no brainer to me.

You can save yourself vetting the service provider by just sending the barrel to Adco. They do awesome work, with great turn around time.