• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors Barrel threading for suppressors?

Kimura

Private
Minuteman
Feb 24, 2018
I recently called a local gunsmith about having a couple barrels threaded for suppressors. The reply I got was that his license did not allow him to thread for suppressors. Only muzzle brakes or flash hiders. What is this nonsense? Anyone heard of such a thing before? Hell, I am pretty sure I could thread my own barrels for anything I like no matter what it is for. Am I wrong?

That thought crossed my mind. But he mentioned his license.....

In the closing days of the last regime they made an attempt to reinterpret the ITAR definitions of "Factory Barrels", and "Threaded Factory Barrels" to prevent any gunsmith without a manufacturers license to thread a non-threaded factory barrel. This rule review/reinterpretation was chitcanned within a week of MAGA. That may be what he was talking about...or, maybe he's just an idiot.

Reactions: deersniper
In the closing days of the last regime they made an attempt to reinterpret the ITAR definitions of "Factory Barrels", and "Threaded Factory Barrels" to prevent any gunsmith without a manufacturers license to thread a non-threaded factory barrel. This rule review/reinterpretation was chitcanned within a week of MAGA. That may be what he was talking about...or, maybe he's just an idiot.
That is true but it had no bearing on what was going to be threaded on to the barrel. Even the Obama and his crew understood you could remove a brake and install a suppressor.
Sad that the smith is less knowledgeable than Obama.

Be careful who you use for cans. If the bore isn’t almost perfectly centered in the threads you’ll have less than optimal results.

Yeah I think I am gonna skip using him for threading these barrels.

Call Mark Gordon at Short Action Customs. He threads a mean barrel

I recently called a local gunsmith about having a couple barrels threaded for suppressors. The reply I got was that his license did not allow him to thread for suppressors. Only muzzle brakes or flash hiders. What is this nonsense? Anyone heard of such a thing before? Hell, I am pretty sure I could thread my own barrels for anything I like no matter what it is for. Am I wrong?

Like others said, that guy just doesn't know what he's talking about. Of course, he did you a favor by telling you (in a round-about way) that he doesn't know much about threading barrels for suppressors...

I had a "gunsmith" thread a few barrels. He screwed them up. Had to have TBAC cut them off and redo them correctly.
Verify your threader. Make sure he knows what he's doing.

Reactions: nativecat01
+1 for Mark at Short Action Customs. He re-threaded a poorly threaded barrel that I had done elsewhere. Caused a baffle strike.
The bad thread job was done at a shop that threads all the time, - probably for AR flash hiders - shorter muzzle devices where precision isn't as critical.

Anyone know a good gunsmith in/around Indianapolis area that can thread barrels for TBAC compact brakes?