• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Barrel Tuners (Rubber) Fact or Fiction

ratton

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 21, 2009
Nevada
I know barrel tuners work on 22lr. I myself have used the BOSS (Ballistic Optimizing Shooting System) system successfully. I see hunters use rubber "donut" de-resonator style barrel tuners on their rifles. Just wondering what the experience is out there. Are they legit or Mumbo Jumbo?

Legit within certain applications.

Since you have used the boss what profile barrel is it installed on? The benefit as I see it is on lighter profile longer barrels that are prone to "whip".

I dont see a need on a heavier profile barrel which is predominately what we use on precision rifles.

Maybe. I decided to get a "Deresonator" to use with my Bull Barrel Ruger 10-22. The idea was to tune it to Aguila standard velocity only to optimize accuracy and get more hits on steel at 100 and 200 meters. For less than $10 it kept me occupied with my pseudo-experimentation. At distance I was finally able to get a greater percentage of hits on 4 and 3 inch steel (could have also been more practice :)). At present I shoot my Kidd 10-22. It just shoots the cheap Aguila so well that it is stupid.