• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Barrel Twist and Contour for 6 Dasher in a PRS style rifle.

_Raining

Private
Minuteman
Feb 14, 2017
Here are my options for in stock barrels:
1:8 twist Rock Creek M24.
1:7 Brux M24.
1:7 Brux MTU.

If you were to get a 6 Dasher barrel for PRS with an finished length of 26", which of the above would you chose?

What would be your alternative if you were to order one (Twist, contour and manufacturer)?

-Thanks-

I would get a lighter contour than any of the above. A Med Palma would be nice. I would not get an MTU. I run Bartlein Med Palma 7.7 twist barrels on my 6 Creed.

Twist would depend on your bullet choice. If going with 105s only then a 8 twist will work but if going 115s then a 7.5.

1:7 twist in either MTU or M24. My 6BRA barrel is a 28" Heavy Varmint contour, and the rifle balances beautifully off of barricades.

I once went as light as a Marksman contour (between med and heavy Palma), and I have gone to heavier barrel contours ever since. The lighter contours just don't balance as well as heavier contours with most stocks and chassis's. At a minimum, I would do a heavy Palma.

All my rifle barrels are either MTU or Heavy Varmint. You will see most rifles in PRS these days are either Heavy Palma, M24, MTU, etc. You do not see a lot of lighter contours anymore. Weight is your friend in this sport, and the heavier contours will balance better.

Reactions: MDT_Josh
The 1:7 twist is perfect if you want to shoot the 110 or 115 class bullets. The 1:8 is borderline stability for the 110's. For some it works, for others it doesn't. 1:7 is a safe bet.

1:7 twist in either MTU or M24. My 6BRA barrel is a 28" Heavy Varmint contour, and the rifle balances beautifully off of barricades.

I once went as light as a Marksman contour (between med and heavy Palma), and I have gone to heavier barrel contours ever since. The lighter contours just don't balance as well as heavier contours with most stocks and chassis's. At a minimum, I would do a heavy Palma.

All my rifle barrels are either MTU or Heavy Varmint. You will see most rifles in PRS these days are either Heavy Palma, M24, MTU, etc. You do not see a lot of lighter contours anymore. Weight is your friend in this sport, and the heavier contours will balance better.

Not my experience as I have gone from heavier barrels to lighter but I guess the OP will get one or the other and learn what he likes.

Not my experience as I have gone from heavier barrels to lighter but I guess the OP will get one or the other and learn what he likes.

It's all preferences at the end of the day, and like you say, ultimately it's up to the end user to determine what works best for them. Otherwise we would all be shooting identical rifles ?

Reactions: Rob01
I'm currently building my match rifle for next year and my barrel will be an IBI, 26" custom contour that is much like the MTU. I have learned the same lesson that @kthomas has that weight is your friend, but he is also correct in saying "It's all preferences at the end of the day." You can't go wrong with any of the contours above IMO and they will help you define what you like down the road.

The safe bet for twist rate with the 6 Dasher is 1:7.5" or 7.7", but you'll still be fine with the 1:8", although closer to the borderline of destabilization with heavy projectiles.

Josh