• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Barrel twist in a 20" 700 tactical

High Binder

Resident Tribologist
Minuteman
Jun 18, 2008
Occupied Colorado
Hey guys, I have buddy who wants some custom loads for his 20" 700 tac. but it's not marked on the barrel or the box and I'm not sure about the internet search because his came with Houge stock which I thought was weird..

Any one know what the twist is and maybe a good starting load/bullet?

Thanks in advance!

Re: Barrel twist in a 20" 700 tactical

Depends on how far he's really going to be shooting it. If not past about 600, then just about all the match bullets will make it. But to get to 1000, you either need to start looking at the higher BC bullets. Like deadly said, the 175 SMK and 178 amax are a great start.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Shot In The Dark</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hey guys, I have buddy who wants some custom loads for his 20" 700 tac. but it's not marked on the barrel or the box and I'm not sure about the internet search because his came with Houge stock which I thought was weird..

Any one know what the twist is and maybe a good starting load/bullet?

Thanks in advance! </div></div>

The OP never said if it was a 308 or 223. The 223 is also a 20" 700 tactical. But to answer the question its 1in12" for 308 and 1in9" for 223.

Hope this helps

Gene

10-4 guys thanks. My bad on the lack of caliber it's 308. Thanks I'm going to load him up some 168 MK and 155 Palmas and see how they do.

Using 168grain BTHP, I have no problem shooting out to 800meter.
Reload using 168grain bthp or Hornady 168grain Amax, varget 45grain. also had alot of success with 175grain, 178grain Hornady Amax.
IMG_2847.jpg