• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

barrel twist on a Monsin??

*greenhorn*

Minuteman
Aug 24, 2011
Daytona, Fl
I have searched looking for the hide looking for the factory twist on a 1942 mosin. can any one help me out?

Re: barrel twist on a Monsin??

I measured the twist rate of my mosin nagant 91/30 a while back, mine is a 1942 Izhevsk. I can't recall the exact number but it was a faster twist rate then you would expect from a rifle that is primarily designed for light 147 grain projectiles. I know the twist rate was between 1:9 and 1:9.5.
I have the data somewhere, I'll look it up.

i have a 91/30 i would have expected a 1:12 thank you very much for the response. your help is greatly appreciated!!

You're welcome.

I noticed that my mosin likes heavier bullets. I get good results with factory sellier & bellot 180 grain 7,62 x 54R.

I now reload with .303 caliber 174 grain Privi (PPU) bullets. They are cheap bullets but give me very good results, around 1.5 to 2 MOA if I do my part.

I've been getting excellent accuracy with HDY '303 Cal' 150gr SP Interlocks and 49.0gr of IMR-4064 in my 1943 Ishevsk 91/30. Used both Win and Prvi brass, and CCI-200's. OAL at, or just longer than that of steelcase surplus rounds.

Everything you ever wanted to know about the Mosin-Nagant, but were afraid to ask...

Today is Deer Season Opening Day, and I'd be out there now, but I still have some preps to complete. I will be using the 91/30 as my deer rifle this year, with the above handloads. I will be setting out my ground blind late this afternoon, and hunting then, and at O'Dark-Thirty tomorrow AM.

More news as it occurs.

Greg

Last Evening was peaceful. This Morning was peaceful and cold. Patience, friend. Going back out this Evening. I don't post photos to the Internet, it's a privacy issue for me.

I pass on the midday drives, my age and condition don't allow for a lot of backwood mobility. My Son-in-Law nailed a doe at about 150yd yesterday, which appeared to have grown some small spikes shortly after being shot. There goes the buck tag...

Sitting in my very simple ground blind (basically six arrows stuck vertacal into the ground, a band of camo cloth wrapped, and a sling chair, I wear Realtree.) with the old 91/30 laying crosswise across my thighs in midst of the late Autumn silence; my mind kept drifting away to imagined images of the Russian Winter, with Russian Conscripts chasing the Hun back East across the snowfields. The rifle felt very right in my hands.

The deer will come, and the the 91/30 will bark out its "Kapowsky".

Greg

Not done with a Mosin, but I pulled the LB bullets from some russian spam canned copperwash 7.62x54 and refit some Seirra 150gr SP flat base bullets with the ~50gr of the original powder load down graded to only 46gr and loaded to a overal case length of 2.800''. Worked perfect out of my NDM-86 and was grouping ~1.5'' at 100. Just took down a good eatin 7 point mule deer here in the plains of Texas at about 220 yards (Google Earth Measurement). Round dropped him instantly. Should of took some pictures before he was just a cooler of meat, wasn't a trophy kill, so it never crossed my mind until now.

The frustration is really beginning to set in...

After a flurry of outings at Season's beginning, my days out have screeched to a halt.

My Son-In-Law, on the other hand, who has been very positive toward helping me get out, has turned into a deer magnet. So far, he's brought in five; with he help of one of my doe tags, and one from an Uncle.

Meanwhile, I managed to get my lungs cold-seared while investing 2 1/2 early morning hours trying to track down one of his bucks before the frost melted. Unsuccessfully. The blood trail just ended, and the general impression was that the sucker got abducted by aliens. More likely we missed where he doubled back somewhere.

Since then, the huntable hours have been cold, windy, sometimes damp, and often dim. The lungs have acquired thick congestion just short of what I'd call pneumonia, and right now, I am under a spousal order to remain home, warm, and work on getting my fluids under better control. Congestive heart failure and pneumonia differ mostly as a matter of degree; so I do have to listen to my woman.

I see my opportunities fading for the year. Hope is not gone, but it's not on firm ground, either. May have to wait for next year.

Greg

After pampering myself and doubling up on the prescribed diuretics, I've dropped about 5lb of fluids; and the breathing is much improved. CHF is a real butt-ache, I've been hospitalized for excessive fluid buildup a couple of times in the past. Not fun; beat it this time. These days I have to pay more attention to such things.

Greg