• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Barrel type for longer life considerations

JUAN l herrera

Private
Minuteman
Aug 15, 2022
RCKY MNTS
Barrels in circulation observations.

Ive noticed some things from maintaining my factory Tikka 308 varmint hammer forged barrel vs A 7-08 preferred button barrel and now A brux cut rifled 7prcw.

The 7-08 with button rifle barrel has more errosion than my hammer forged barrel 2x as much +/- also it has a first shot POI shift like 1'' from the following shots at begining of any session that my 308 hammer forged tikka barrel has never had. the brux at only 200rds has a little errosion all ready but has no poi shift and is very tight shooting and yes i would say a tad tighter than my tikka 308 HF barrel. but since i am shooting steel matches only i do not need 3'' at 600yd i am getting about 4'' with with all 3 but i can allready tell my 308 tikka hammer forged barrel that iv had for years is going to out live the brux cut rifle barrel and the preffered button rifle barrel in theory from what i see.

Im considering replacing the one that goes bad first with a Lothar walther hammer forged barrel.

Anyone have any experiance with lothar walther barrels or any other hammer forged barrel in a bolt action 7mm bore or bigger ?

I just thinking for my return in investemnt a hammer forged barrel is worth it, even if it only gets me 500 more rounds.

I understand powder volume and bore diameter plays a huge role in this.

If you could share any experiance and or considerations on the subject. This would help those that are low on funds and this may keep them in the game longer due to a longer barrel life in an already EXPENSIVE SPORT.

GOOD DAY jUAN

Cartridges that are more overbore are going to erode the throat faster. I doubt you will see any appreciable gains in barrel life with a hammer forged barrel vs a button rifled barrel. Cut rifled barrels I have heard last a little longer. They usually clean up easier and shoot better as well. Granted shooting better is often something lost in the noise in most minute of steal plate shooting games,

Comparing throat erosion between a 308, 7/08, and 7prcw is pointless.

I've heard of folks getting a lot of life out of factory hammer forged tikka barrels though.

Hammer forged, barrels last longer, then button, and finally cut rifling bringing up rear, but only slight difference between button and cut rifling.
Its all about compacting the grain structure of the metal.
The militaty uses hammer forged barrels, special steel alloy termed machinegun steel with hard surface coatings and some were chrome lined, longer lasting than any SS cut rifled barrel.

Barrels in circulation observations.

Ive noticed some things from maintaining my factory Tikka 308 varmint hammer forged barrel vs A 7-08 preferred button barrel and now A brux cut rifled 7prcw.

The 7-08 with button rifle barrel has more errosion than my hammer forged barrel 2x as much +/- also it has a first shot POI shift like 1'' from the following shots at begining of any session that my 308 hammer forged tikka barrel has never had. the brux at only 200rds has a little errosion all ready but has no poi shift and is very tight shooting and yes i would say a tad tighter than my tikka 308 HF barrel. but since i am shooting steel matches only i do not need 3'' at 600yd i am getting about 4'' with with all 3 but i can allready tell my 308 tikka hammer forged barrel that iv had for years is going to out live the brux cut rifle barrel and the preffered button rifle barrel in theory from what i see.

Im considering replacing the one that goes bad first with a Lothar walther hammer forged barrel.

Anyone have any experiance with lothar walther barrels or any other hammer forged barrel in a bolt action 7mm bore or bigger ?

I just thinking for my return in investemnt a hammer forged barrel is worth it, even if it only gets me 500 more rounds.

I understand powder volume and bore diameter plays a huge role in this.

If you could share any experiance and or considerations on the subject. This would help those that are low on funds and this may keep them in the game longer due to a longer barrel life in an already EXPENSIVE SPORT.

GOOD DAY jUAN
If the 308 was a Brux, and the 7 PRC was hammer forged, you’d come to the exact opposite conclusion. The 308 has perhaps three to five times the barrel life of the PRC. Making barrel material decisions based on that comparison is a comically bad mistake.

Reactions: swampbuck