• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Barrel Upgrades for a Rem 700 Suggestions

adkmtnman

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 14, 2011
Upstate, NY
Hey guys...

Looking to upgrade to a better barrel for my Rem 700 308. Of course I want a heavy barrel. But not sure what Barrel makers or specs to go with. 24" 1:12 twist?

Any suggestions?

Thanks Fellas

Re: Barrel Upgrades for a Rem 700 Suggestions

Look up "bugholes" here on the Hide, he sells Rock creek barrels in a variety of configurations without waiting for 3-4 months for them to make you a custom barrel. I bought a 27" M40 contour 5R 1:11.27 twist blank. He does much more than just sell barrels though. Look him up, you won't be disappointed.

Thanks Jammer!

I will.

I just figured I am gonna go the distance with this gun. Ordered a Manners stock for it, Ordered a Nightforce 3.5-15x50 with zero stop (layaway, so mama doesnt find out), night force rings, badger 20 moa base, badger bolt handle, wyatts bottom metal.
So, now looking into action work and the upgraded barrel, for down the road. So trying to get ideas to make this a nice shooter...

If you are really serious about getting the gun to shoot its best, you cant go wrong having one of the good benchrest smiths put the barrel on and true the action at the same time. Its not the cheapest way out but it is the best. There are a few smiths that you can trust with any job and certainly will not be dissapointed. Then again for every good smith there are a dozen hacks out there. Good luck.
I have a few names and phone nos. if you would care to talk to one.

I was thinking of emailing GAP to see if they offer that service. I know they make a bad a$$ gun. I will wait for the stock to come then send it all out and have them bed it as well. I wasnt sure if I was going to keep the 700 action or change, but Im using it as my foundation. Just have someone make it true.

Benchmark Barrels. Dave Sink out of Lexington NC can order, and build you a very accurate .260. He has for me. PM if you want more info, or just contact Dave.

Any good barrel, put on right, is going to shoot great.

Find one you can get a good price on and not have to wait for.

Your smith may have one laying around that he wants to use.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AZPrecision</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Any good barrel, put on right, is going to shoot great.

Your smith may have one laying around that he wants to use. </div></div>

WOW Keith... nice bolt work...

AZ, A good barrel put on right will shoot great, is a reasonable expectation. Find one you can get at a good price and don"t have to wait for, not so much. The only discount I ever recieved from a good barrel maker was when I bought more than five inside of twelve months.
This time of year is probebly the worst time to try to find a barrel from a decent maker laying around, everyone and their brother is rebarreling something with the hope of becoming the next world champion at some form of shooting.
There are a few barrel makers that are fairly new to the field that I have heard nothing but praises for. If I didnt have a stash of Kreiger, Hart, and Lilja I would like to try one or two, maybe some day I will shoot out what I have. Like I say, the newer makers are quickly building good reputations, where not too many years it was a pick of three or four. Maybe there are a few smiths that have a barrel or two tucked away, but at three hundred bucks a pop they dont sit on them for too long.Rjght now I imagine the wait for a barrel would be followed by a wait for a good smith to have your gun done, they are normally as busy as the makers this time of year. I learned my lesson when I waited for a Kreiger for four months or so and it got lost in the mail on its way from Maine to Texas to be chambered. I ordered my first reamer and bought a lathe shortly thereafter.

Thanks krummarine.
We have built several 308's using Benchmark barrels, 3 groove and an 11 twist.
When test firing using Federal Gold Medal match 168gr BTHP ammo, all have shot in the 1's at 100 yds for 3 shots.

Barrel length would be up to you. If you going to hunt with it and are hunting out of a box stand, I would probably go with 24", if your not then you might wont to go 26" so you can get the speed to keep 175's supersonic to 1000 yds.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tac243</div><div class="ubbcode-body">krieger barrels... </div></div>

yup^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

The Benchmark barrel is one that I was speaking of earlier, I have no idea how long they have been in the buisness but only recently the name has become known to me, and what I have heard is nothing but the best. Great for the whole shooting game along with someone that is willing to do a job properly. Congrats.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AZPrecision</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Any good barrel, put on right, is going to shoot great.

Your smith may have one laying around that he wants to use. </div></div>

amen

Thanks for the input guys. I actually sent an email to GAP, Ken wrote back and told me to shoot the gun for awhile and see how it shoots. I will shoot it through the summer and see how it is with different loads. I really appreciated his honesty and some people would have been, "SEND IT IN $$$$$$$" *IF* I do feel I want to re-barrel and do other work, I will definitely send it in to GAP.

Thank you guys for all the input. I appreciate it!

Rob