• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Barrel Velocity

jrpilot

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 4, 2009
Queen Creek, AZ
What have you noticed with your barrels. As the barrel gets more rounds through it have you notice an increase or decrease in your velocity? The barrel on my Edge seems to have slowed down a bit since it was brand new. A load that was going 2842fps is now going 2800fps. These were shot in similar temps so I can rule that out. H-1000 is suposed to be less temp sensitive anyways. Would shooting on a sunny day verse an overcast day make that big of a difference. I just talked to CED, and he made it sound like if you have enough light to get good readings then you should have good numbers.

Re: Barrel Velocity

I know you have removed all the old copper deposits. But I'm going to ask you about it any way. Do you clean the barrel down to bare steel when you clean? Or do you just remove the carbon fouling?

If you go to the range and shoot 5, 10 shot groups across your chronograph and DON'T CLEAN the bore, just let it cool between shots / groups, the last group will average different from the first.

I havent cleaned my barrel in 57 rounds. The faster speeds were when the barrel had 10 rounds through it. I have been thinking about the IR screens.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jrpilot</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What have you noticed with your barrels. As the barrel gets more rounds through it have you notice an increase or decrease in your velocity? The barrel on my Edge seems to have slowed down a bit since it was brand new. A load that was going 2842fps is now going 2800fps. These were shot in similar temps so I can rule that out. H-1000 is suposed to be less temp sensitive anyways. Would shooting on a sunny day verse an overcast day make that big of a difference. I just talked to CED, and he made it sound like if you have enough light to get good readings then you should have good numbers. </div></div>

I had a DECREASE in velocity when I had more rounds through my barrel. At the beginning of summer, my load chrono'd at 2750. At the end of summer, and 1500-2000 rounds, it chrono'd at 2714.

I think barrels wear at the throat, and if we don't keep extending the length of our rounds to compensate pressure decreases, less pressure means less fps.

My barrel only has 60rnds through it. I was just wondering if they slow down a bit after they get broke in a little. I didnt think it would make much of a difference with a custom hand lapped barrel.