• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Barrel vise bushing?

thexman

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Dec 24, 2018
Recently got an 21st century barrel vise, when I tried to take off the barrel from a custom R700 clone action, I found the torque wrench reaches to the maximum torque(100f/lb) easily and the barrel becomes slipping within the vise when I use things like thick paper board pieces and dry wall tape to avoid direct contact between the barrel and the vise. Even I have tighten the 4 nuts on top pretty hard, it still does that.

The only way I can take off the barrel is to let it have metal to metal contact between the barrel and vise. Once the barrel is off, I can see there is some marks on the surface. Not sure if it could cause any issue to the barrel? And is getting a pair of bushing for the vise the last option I have if I don't want to leave marks like that?

I torque the barrel using torque wrench to 70f/lb.

Thank you.

IMG_20231030_134754_new.jpg

Get some 2" (or however wide the barrel vise is) veg tanned leather strips...atleast 5-6oz and wrap the barrel before putting in vise.

If your vise was designed to accept bushings, then that is what I would use. I have both kinds and the leather trick has served well for years.

Reactions: thexman
Even I have tighten the 4 nuts on top pretty hard, it still does that.
Tighten them until they stop, pretty hard isn’t clamp hard.

Edit: I use old business cards in my viper, when I loosen it the card stock is damn near squeezed through. I tighten until you feel all the looseness is out and any more you’ll start stretching threads.

Last edited:
Get some 2" (or however wide the barrel vise is) veg tanned leather strips...atleast 5-6oz and wrap the barrel before putting in vise.

If your vise was designed to accept bushings, then that is what I would use. I have both kinds and the leather trick has served well for years.
I checked it's a bushing free vise, so I may try tighten it harder with some leather strips.

Thanks for the info.

If your torque wrench actually measures CW AND CCW, stop using it to remove things.
Sorry I am new to this, could you be more specific, please? Do you mean the torque wrench I used is wrong? Or specific type of torque wrench I need to use?

Sorry I am new to this, could you be more specific, please? Do you mean the torque wrench I used is wrong? Or specific type of torque wrench I need to use?
Meaning, torque wrenches aren't meant for breaking fasteners free. You can damage them using them as such. Use a breaker bar instead to remove the barrel.

Get some leather from a craft store and some rosin from Amazon. No marks, no slipping. No loosening with your torque wrench. It’s bad for it.

I use a toilet paper roll sliced lengthwise, wrapped around the barrel. Tighten your vise and you’re good to go. No slippage, no marks on the barrel.

Meaning, torque wrenches aren't meant for breaking fasteners free. You can damage them using them as such. Use a breaker bar instead to remove the barrel.
Got it. Thanks a lot.

I guess using breaker bar to make the barrel loose and torque wrench to tighten it, correct?

Reactions: Rubicon Precision