• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Barrel vise set up

Gledeasy

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 16, 2012
Nephi, UT U.S.A.
I've been collecting parts for a couple of years for a 6.5 CM. I'm just about to send my barrel off to Josh at PVA. This rifle I've always planned on having as a switch barrel set up (bighorn tl3), so to do that I need to purchase a few tools. One being a barrel vise. I'm wondering if there is any particular one that is recommended. My barrel is a proof sendaro light.

Thanks

I just used the viper rest for my remage install and it worked fine. Wrapped the barrel in a business card and it had plenty of grip and non marred. Ive seen the 21st century that looks pretty much exactly the same and at a better price but I had already ordered the viper on a good sale from bullets.com. I have heard if you want to do a bunch of factory barrel removal youll want something with more heft to it though.

Not sure if the carbon requires something special but I imagine a cardboard tube/business card/leather would protect the finish.
[IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","height":"398","width":"398","src":"http:\/\/www.viperbench-rest.com\/Viper%20Barrel%20Vise.jpg"}[/IMG2]
[IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","height":"253","width":"426","src":"http:\/\/nebula.wsimg.com\/3225ad802b8507072e72a14274c51689?AccessKeyId=D665AA0C95BD1D877538&disposition=0&alloworigin=1"}[/IMG2]

I use a Viper as well and it has worked great for me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I've had a viper for close to 10 years now and use the shit out of it. Everything from torquing barrels to holding geissele reaction rods while working on AR's, torquing muzzle devices, and even holding rifles for cleaning and other stuff.

The only issue I've had was a couple of the nuts seize up on the studs so they would unscrew from the base. When they seized they were really on there too, I had to order new studs which were cheap. This was honestly my fault though, I should have kept some grease or anti seize on the studs. I do now and haven't had another seize up since.

A few tips:

Get yourself a few pieces of leather in various sizes for anything that you don't want to marr. The ones I use the most are usually about a 4"x4" piece wrapped around the barrel or two strips about 2"x4" one on top and one on the bottom. Be careful inserting the barrel into it as well, it can scratch the finish, especially the proofs. The two strip method allows you to lay one in the vise on the bottom, carefully slide the barrel in and insert the other in the top and then torque the bolts. Keep the leather somewhat clean and check for debris before use, if the vise isn't tight enough and the barrel spins, you will damage your finish if there's any hard debris.

Get some powdered rosin as well, you can find it in most sporting goods stores around the baseball stuff. Use this between the leather and the barrel by either rubbing some on the barrel or on the leather. If you do a good bit on the leather it will be good for a few uses. This will help keep the barrel from spinning.

If the barrel has a cylinder try to get that in vise if the depth of your bench (assuming against a wall) will allow it. This gives more surface area as well as a straight surface area with little or no taper. On the proof of will also keep you off of some of the carbon fiber. This requires you to remove the action from the stock but it's worth the extra few minutes to keep from jacking something up.

Buy top quality wrenches, they're worth it! If the Surgeon action wrench works on the Bighorn (I'm unfamiliar with them) I would highly recommend it over any others. They work great. Don't skimp on a torque wrench either and make sure you're not using one that your torque spec is at the very top or bottom of the range as they're most accurate towards the middle. I use a 1/2" 50-250ftlbs snap on. You can pick them up in good shape at pawn shops for about $100 or so. If you buy used track down a local snap on guy and have him check calibration, they will typically have the tool to check it on their truck. They usually don't charge to check but if you're not a regular customer a tip would be encouraged. If it needs calibration they send it in to snap on who charges about $50 to calibrate. They're very rarely out of calibration though. Use a breaker bar or ratchet to break a barrel lose, do not use the torque wrench. Also make sure you run the torque wrench back down after use, they will typically go a way below the minimum setting. All of this is incase you're unfamiliar with torque tools.

Also if you're not bolting it down (I wouldn't to save the bench space) get some heavy duty c clamps. They don't need to be machinist grade or anything but just don't use the woodworking stuff. They're not really suited for this stuff.

Hope this helps, it probably won't help your wallet any.

Last edited:
Reactions: Timmymic
I have a Farrell Industries vise that works great, as long as you aren't working on sporter barrels.

Sporter barrels either need to be grabbed up close to the action, or need another solution. Something that I wish that Farrell did is make the vise blocks reversible such that they could be reoriented to grab smaller OD barrels. I have access to a mill where I could make that alteration, but I don't have the skills to do it such that I'd have any confidence that everything would line up when I was done.

My viper vice is pretty trashed after several factory Remington barrel removals. Keep in mind, it is a light duty barrel vice. Probably prefect for your needs. It works fine for muzzle devices, and Remage and Savage barrels.

Appreciate the info. I'll have to digest it more when I get home from work.

Just a quick search for the viper vise and haven't found one in stock. Any leads?

I bought my viper from midway i think. Havent used it though.
Quick note for the guy above who mentioned the surgeon action wrench, that wrench does not work in the Bighorn TL3, i called Bighorn about it and they said it doesnt work. For wrenches, id just get the one PVA makes for the TL3. Its a rear entry wrench that will fit a torque wrench.
I wish i could talk from experience though haha, im still waiting on my stuff and its killing me xD
Cant rush perfection though!