• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Barrel Vise

Jigstick

“What’s the matter colonel sanders….chicken?”
Minuteman
  • Jul 21, 2017
    Pittsburgh PA
    What barrel vise is recommended? I have some barrels I need to remove from my BAT 2 lug actions. I have the BAT action wrench. Just need a nice vise to lock up the barrel in.

I bought a wheeler vice a while back and have zero complaints. It was cheap and works. I don't have it mounted on my bench. I just grab the base with my bench vice.

Reactions: roostercogburn98
    I think the Grizzly Viper is the best deal, especially when it goes on sale. Fold a piece of top grain leather around the barrel to protect the finish and add grip.

Reactions: Jigstick
    Seconds on the wheeler. It has held up to removing multiple Lee Enfield barrels.

Reactions: leclairk
    For $76 the one below is a great value!

The Viper is inexpensive and works great with leather or cardboard wrapped around the barrel. I have been using it for years. It you want a much more expensive version the SAC one is really nice (but a lot more expensive).

Reactions: 6.5SH and 65x55guy
    I got the PMA tool one (they make the Viper) and the gen 2 goes smaller for sporter barrels by turning the top clamp 90 degrees.

I mounted mine on a 2” square tube so it gets clamped in a vice or goes in the received hitch.

Has worked great and ordering from PMA tool was a breeze.
    They have many nice things for reloading as well.

I have a bald eagle barrel vise, it was pretty cheap and has worked well.
    I use either lead shims or leather straps.
    I don't know if they still make them, to be honest, the Viper is probably a better vise for not much more money.

The Viper is still being made the original owner, whose name slips me now, sold the rights and equipment to new owners.

Long story short the viper is still available and one hell of a barrel vise at the price.

The Viper is still being made the original owner, whose name slips me now, sold the rights and equipment to new owners.

Long story short the viper is still available and one hell of a barrel vise at the price.
    It was poorly written, i don't know if the bald eagle is still being made.

It was poorly written, i don't know if the bald eagle is still being made.
    I looked back and saw that you did mention the Bald Eagle, there has been talk elsewhere re: the Viper still being made since it was sold and mistakenly went there.

Bob Pastor is our supplier (even the most recent ones). We send his wife a check, and he sends us vices :)

As said, the viper one works well. I put hockey tape on the inside of the clamp/vice for extra grip.

Robert Gradous made a switch barrel rifle for me and personally recommended the viper, so that’s what I bought..

For you fellas with the Viper or PMA's Gen 2 vise, what do you use to protect the barrel finish?

Thanks

I got the PMA tool one (they make the Viper) and the gen 2 goes smaller for sporter barrels by turning the top clamp 90 degrees.

I mounted mine on a 2” square tube so it gets clamped in a vice or goes in the received hitch.

Has worked great and ordering from PMA tool was a breeze.
    They have many nice things for reloading as well.
    Pma is good stuff

Toilet paper roll. No kidding. Says so in the included directions.
    haha...thanks.

I have paper drywall tape and painters tape (the later may not be robust enough) but thought I saw somewhere people referring to using leather but ???

Toilet paper roll makes a lot of sense. LOL

Cheers

Budget: Davidson

Nice: SAC
    Gucci: LRI (case color hardened of course)

ETA - My cheap ass bought the Wheeler. This is on my list of things that I will buy someday when price doesnt matter, right behind a CPS from Primal Rights.

For you fellas with the Viper or PMA's Gen 2 vise, what do you use to protect the barrel finish?

Thanks

To ad, the TP roll.

The good man @Bag Bullet had explained this to me prior to my buying and its been awesome.
    My kid’s barrels are cerakoted and protects it nice.
    Mine are stainless and I dont care about finish much. But the TP roll gives good grip too.

Thanks
    I have/had 500 business cards that are no longer my correct position so I swap barrels and use one each time to pinch around as I insert it into the vice.
    Before that Ive used tp rolls and a frozen pizza box and an old strip of leather.
    Basically anything that doesn’t compress too much but provides a smidge of buffer to keep it shiny smooth.

My viper has served me very well, but sheet rock paper tape is what I've found to work the best for holding the barrel well and not leaving any marks.

There are many other nicer and more expensive vices but lots of us use a viper successfully. Just depends on how much use you will rely give it and what you are prepared to pay for it really.

Reactions: Baron23

Thanks
    I use hockey tape. I apply it to both sides of the vice clamps and it's worked well for me.

Leather would be another good choice. I envision cardboard slipping, but there's many here who've had good success with it so that's another simple and easy solution.

I let them keep the poop.

And I promise they get a lotta 12 hr days outta me where the only break I get is to piss, and usually only 2 of those.

Im an efficient pooper. 2 min max.
    Boss makes a dollar, I make a dime, that’s why I shit on company time 😂😂

Reactions: TrevK
    I've talked to Bob on the phone a few times. Really nice guy.
    Same here Bob is a gentleman. I called him to asked for some replacement springs that I misplaced. Without hesitation he asked my address and shipped me a set free of charge.

I went with the PMA Gen II vise. Why? Product description said it was improved over the Viper and it told you to torque it to 40 ft. lbs. Worked perfectly as did PMA's Kelbly action wrench.

I have the Brownells - used it to remove a factory Remington 700 barrel. It has great clamping power. I wish more bushings were available - currently trying to find one to fit my 1.05” Remage barrels.

I have/had 500 business cards that are no longer my correct position so I swap barrels and use one each time to pinch around as I insert it into the vice.
    Before that Ive used tp rolls and a frozen pizza box and an old strip of leather.
    Basically anything that doesn’t compress too much but provides a smidge of buffer to keep it shiny smooth.
    Thanks friend...sounds like just another thing I'm overthinking. haha

Cheers

For $76 the one below is a great value!

The Viper is inexpensive and works great with leather or cardboard wrapped around the barrel. I have been using it for years. It you want a much more expensive version the SAC one is really nice (but a lot more expensive).
    This one.

In keeping with the threads new theme- It sounds like you are spending too much time on the crapper thinking and not enough working :ROFLMAO:
    hahaha....I turned 70 this past Sunday and no longer crap on my boss's time....now I crap on my own time. Much more relaxing experience. LOL

Thanks....sounds like almost anything will work as long as it has some grip and smooth surface so as to not mar the finish. I do have a roll of no glue drywall tape that will prob work well as well as a LOT of old biz cards. Great idea....its like Hints from Heloise (you remember that advise column) on how to reuse old household stuff! hahaha

Cheers and thanks again. I have really very much appreciated your help on this forum. 💪 👍

Gucci: LRI (case color hardened of course)

ETA - My cheap ass bought the Wheeler. This is on my list of things that I will buy someday when price doesnt matter, right behind a CPS from Primal Rights.

Back in 2015ish timeframe I got intimately familiar with the OG LRI vise. Honestly from an end-user standpoint I like the SAC vise better. You could probably clamp a chamber into oblongness in the LRI but for everything short of the worst Tikka barrels you don't really need all of that.

I have the SAC at home and work has a Davidson (very similar to the Viper), and honestly for $65-75 I've been pretty impressed with the little Davidson, but it can be rough on finishes if you're not careful.

I've sold close to a couple hundred Viper barrel vises over the last couple of years, with not a single complaint. People LOVE them, because they work.

I use a toilet paper roll core, never had a barrel slip on me.