• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Barrel wear in .223 AR-15.

gunsnjeeps

Retired Swab Jockey
Minuteman
Dec 15, 2009
Norfolk, Va
I was looking at ordering bullets and when I compared 77 grain and 53 SMK I came up with a 4 cent difference per bullet. So my question is "What is the difference in barrel wear between a 77 grain bullet and a 53 grain bullet?" I partialy feel that the 77 would have more wear, but is it enough to save 4 cents a bullet and have two loads?

Re: Barrel wear in .223 AR-15.

No difference in barrel wear. What's important is the twist rate of the barrel. 77gr. is a little heavy if your barrel is 1:9". 53gr. will perform better. If you happen to have a 1:7" both are fine but the 77gr. will reach further straighter... Savvy?

1:7, everyone is saying I should shoot the 53's for 100 yard matches because they're cheaper and less barrel wear. For 4 cents I can't see where 2 loads are practical. It works out to $2.32 a match if I shoot 53's (54 rounds for 100 yard match).

I would use ONE good load. 1/7 will get you out much further than slower twists and the heavier projectiles are better for other uses. A few $ is not a lot for what you gain.
Shooting one load out to 600+ and much more.

No difference in wear between projectils (well, there IS but it's so small it's theoretical)

Sounds like more 77's in the next order. The "Theoretical" is about what I was thinking. Thanks for the quick answers

The 4 cent extra cost for the bullet will be off set by the savings in useing less powder.
myerfire

Let us know when you wear out a 223 barrel.

This is only theoretical but the heavier bullet uses less powder and throat wear is related to the amount of unburnt powder and hot gas going down the barrel. The difference in 223 may be too small to be significant.

Just a thought.