• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Barrel Wear

hrfunk

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 18, 2010
Ohio
It appears that I have worn out the barrel in my RRA National Match rifle. At the National Matches up at Camp Perry last week, I was not terribly happy with my shooting. I actually thought it was just me having a bad day until I swapped out my rifle's upper with a brand new one. After the swap, the new barrel shot 3 consecutive groups that were sub-half MOA. That was with iron sights I might add. So it appears my old barrel (a Wilson) is ready for that big shooting range in the sky. The thing that surprises me a bit, and the reason for this post, is the old barrel only had 3600 rounds through it. I wondered if anyone else using a Wilson barrel has had it die with a similar round count?

Thanks,
HRF

It appears that I have worn out the barrel in my RRA National Match rifle. At the National Matches up at Camp Perry last week, I was not terribly happy with my shooting. I actually thought it was just me having a bad day until I swapped out my rifle's upper with a brand new one. After the swap, the new barrel shot 3 consecutive groups that were sub-half MOA. That was with iron sights I might add. So it appears my old barrel (a Wilson) is ready for that big shooting range in the sky. The thing that surprises me a bit, and the reason for this post, is the old barrel only had 3600 rounds through it. I wondered if anyone else using a Wilson barrel has had it die with a similar round count?

Thanks,
HRF

How bad were the groups that forced you to change the upper? Has accuracy been falling off over the last 1k rounds? It wouldn't surprise me if a stainless barrel lost something after 4000 rounds but if it shot good yesterday and like crap today the problem may be your head.

Thanks,
HRF

funny I swapped my barrel out right before CP this year. I had just under 4K on it. I run Krieger SS barrels. I talked to some other shooters and they are swapping barrels around 3K to avoid it shitting the bed in a big match..

Let me guess you had some really good 300yd rapids right before it went south? It seems mine always shoot awesome right before they go out..

Either way 3600 out of your wilson seems about right. Did you take into account Sighters, barrel break in, and practice in your Round Count?

Yes, that's everything, and yes it seemed to be shooting pretty well earlier in the season. Looks like I tried to push it just a little too far. I wish I had swapped mine before CP rather than after. The one that died is an SS barrel, as I understand things, the carbon steel barrels will last a little longer.

HRF

Yes, that's everything, and yes it seemed to be shooting pretty well earlier in the season. Looks like I tried to push it just a little too far. I wish I had swapped mine before CP rather than after. The one that died is an SS barrel, as I understand things, the carbon steel barrels will last a little longer.

HRF

Well I should have done mine well before perry. I only had a break in day and one 80 shot match before we headed out to Ohio. Not really a great way to inspire confidence.. :) It did work out okay. The rifle did its part but the idiot behind the trigger did not do his.. :-(

Well I should have done mine well before perry. I only had a break in day and one 80 shot match before we headed out to Ohio. Not really a great way to inspire confidence.. :) It did work out okay. The rifle did its part but the idiot behind the trigger did not do his.. :-(

I feel your pain. At least I was happy with the way I shot my 03A4 in the Vintage Sniper Rifle Match!

HRF

I feel your pain. At least I was happy with the way I shot my 03A4 in the Vintage Sniper Rifle Match!

HRF

Yeah I shot good on our NTT Team so at least it was not a complete loss.. I guess there is always next year... :)