• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Barrel/weight question

Mr.Pool

Private
Minuteman
Jun 14, 2020
Ok guys I'm coming to all of you for help. I put this together a few years back. Remington 700 Gen 2. Love this rifle. Put a Leupold LRT 8.5 X 25 on it. .308 of course..... I purchased this to hunt with, it is not a bench rest range only gun. Well... it's a bit heavy to lug around the mountains of PA. I know a big chunk of the weight is the barrel. It even seems a bit front end heavy. I got the model with a 24" barrel. I'm just not a short barrel guy. No offense. It has a beautiful 5R barrel on it and it is beefy. I mean this thing looks awesome especially with the flutes that are in it. It looks like a barrel on steroids. Unfortunately it adds weight. The gun is very accurate.
I do not have any experience with carbon fiber. My questions are:
Cost?
Weight?
Barrel life?
Accuracy?
dependability in extreme weather?
Anything I'm missing?
For those of you with more experience/knowledge what would you do?
Thanks in advance
Pool
20211218_193407.jpg

Can't help on the CF barrel front, but I too have a Rem 700, SS, Gen 2 that came in the HS stock with the fluted 5R barrel.

I went for 20" as its for hunting and didn't want it too long to maneuver in a box blind, etc.

With a Viper PST Gen 2 3-15 and steel rings it comes in at 10.5 lbs.

How much does your gun weigh? How light do you want it...that is, what is an acceptable weight for you?

Reactions: Mr.Pool
For the price of having a carbon barrel spun up, you could buy another whole rifle (think lightweight tikka or something similar).

A carbon barrel will run $6-800 for the blank, then add 3-400 for a gunsmith to chamber it (you can potentially avoid this if you can find a “remage” carbon barrel in a caliber that you like).

Weight is usually about 2.5-3 lbs depending on the barrel. Your current barrel is probably in the 4-5lbs range.

Barrel life, accuracy, and dependability will probably be comparable to what you currently have.

You didn’t provide much actual information about your own goals and requirements. That might help.

Personally, I carry a 12-13lbs rifle for hunting out west. You get used to the weight. And it’s way cheaper to just carry less stuff in your pack.

Reactions: Mr.Pool
Can't help on the CF barrel front, but I too have a Rem 700, SS, Gen 2 that came in the HS stock with the fluted 5R barrel.

I went for 20" as its for hunting and didn't want it too long to maneuver in a box blind, etc.

With a Viper PST Gen 2 3-15 and steel rings it comes in at 10.5 lbs.

How much does your gun weigh? How light do you want it...that is, what is an acceptable weight for you?
I think it's coming in a little over 11lbs right now. Not extreme heavy but after a day of climbing it wears on you. I wouldn't mind trimming 2 lbs.

Reactions: Baron23
You don’t need 24” for a .308 hunting in PA. I went with 20” just to avoid the extra blast you get at 18”. A Light Palma or Sporter contour steel barrel would save weight. Decide what your priorities are and what you’re going to use the gun for, then make your decisions to best achieve those goals.

You just need to get over your whole adversity to short barrels if you want to cut weight. CF barrels are just fine, and help, but the biggest favor you can do yourself is to get a 20” barrel. Go with a lighter profile (but not pencil thin) like a Bartlein 3B and flute it if you want to stay steel, and you’ll still be able to pull off five shot strings without issue, but cut some weight. I have one done that way in 6.5 CM and it’s 49.1oz.

BE90B4C5-92CB-456C-A0BC-8564A83778DC.jpeg

You just need to get over your whole adversity to short barrels if you want to cut weight. CF barrels are just fine, and help, but the biggest favor you can do yourself is to get a 20” barrel. Go with a lighter profile (but not pencil thin) like a Bartlein 3B and flute it if you want to stay steel, and you’ll still be able to pull off five shot strings without issue, but cut some weight. I have one done that way in 6.5 CM and it’s 49.1oz.

View attachment 7764452
That's a sexy looking barrel right there!